Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer Logistics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone with a bit of knowledge on the matter please clarify? How do I know if all is going smoothly for my FSD transfer?

1) Placed order for new Model X on Friday and added FSD to the order (couldn't help myself...once it went below $80K and qualified for the tax credit and the FSD transfer I was sold)
2) Received an email that showed my order that included the FSD
3) In the Tesla App I added my trade-in 2018 Model X with FSD I purchased outright (but not at initial sale). This allowed my to click that I would be transferring FSD from the trade-in to the new vehicle.
4) Somewhere along the line I had to click that I acknowledge that the card does not have ultrasonic sensors. This seemed to modify my order and when I clicked on the order agreement pdf on tesla.com the FSD on the order was nowhere to be found.
5) In the Tesla App I still see my trade-in offer as being accepted and that "transfer applied." However there is a "more info" tooltip right next to it that says "FSD capability will remain on your current vehicle if transfer is not successful." (Thanks Tesla you get to keep the FSD on my old car if the transfer is not successful? No thank you!) When should I expect the transfer to be successful? Right when I pick up the car (definitely don't want to wait a few days to find out that the transfer wasn't successful)? It would be a deal breaker if this wasn't successful (first-world problem, I know...but still would be disappointing since the family is excited about the new car).
6) Once I initiated the "Final Payment" to Tesla, the MVPA was generated on tesla.com and the FSD does not show up anywhere there. Should it? Should I be worried? If so, who (at Tesla) should I talk to? Whenever I talk to someone at Tesla seems like no one there really had detailed knowledge about the FSD transfer process.

Want to be sure all goes smoothly with the transfer when I drop off the trade-in and pick up the new car. Thanks for any/all help!

Last edited:
In my case, I ordered the new car with FSD as requested, and it appeared on the initial order. At some point I got a revised order that did not include FSD, and I was told that’s normal for the transfer process. Sounds like your order is going the way it should be.

Because I’ll be traveling, I have to take delivery before Sept 16 rather than Sept 30 to be eligible for the FSD transfer, and it’s not clear if that will happen. No matching inventory cars available in my area, so that’s not an option yet. If the timing doesn’t work out, I’ll have to cancel the order.

• Helpful
Reactions: solardudesf
In my case, I ordered the new car with FSD as requested, and it appeared on the initial order. At some point I got a revised order that did not include FSD, and I was told that’s normal for the transfer process. Sounds like your order is going the way it should be.

Because I’ll be traveling, I have to take delivery before Sept 16 rather than Sept 30 to be eligible for the FSD transfer, and it’s not clear if that will happen. No matching inventory cars available in my area, so that’s not an option yet. If the timing doesn’t work out, I’ll have to cancel the order.
Same here. The wife ordered a model Y. The initial email showed the vehicle order agreement including a price of $15,000 for FSD, but the showroom guy told us that would happen and that we would get an updated agreement showing FSD with no cost before the car is paid for. Wife got the car the very next day and sure enough an updated email came and showing the lower price and FSD. The FSD was transferred to the new car the next day after paying for it.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom
I'm going from a 3 to a Y and my experience has been the same as yours as far as getting the updated order email that doesn't show FSD anywhere. It sounds like this is normal. I plan to respond to the text message I received when I placed my order once I'm matched with a VIN just to verify the transfer will go through.

same boat as the OP, except not trading in a car, just transferring FSD. My experience has been the same - ordered w/ FSD, FSD removed when acknowledging sensors gone, clicked FSD transfer, and MVPA does not show FSD at all.

However, after I made the final payment in the app at delivery, I was sent an email about FSD transfer almost instantly. I would just double check with the delivery person that the FSD transfer is there before you make the final payment.

• Helpful
I'm scheduled for 2023 MXLR delivery on October 20th.

Nowhere on my App does it STILL show my FSD TRANSFER that I opted for with my Tesla SA, on September 30, which was the deadline...but disappeared on App October 1st.

I have documented muliple emails from my SA stating that the FSD TRANSFER shows on my Account when he views my account on his Back End. Still I'm nervous that something may slip through the cracks.

When it's time to review final docs and pay my balance (cash), will I get a form to sign for the FSD TRANSFER or will the FSD just appear on my 2023 MXLR.

Really hope you all can give me some incite and manage my expectations.

I'm scheduled for 2023 MXLR delivery on October 20th.

Nowhere on my App does it STILL show my FSD TRANSFER that I opted for with my Tesla SA, on September 30, which was the deadline...but disappeared on App October 1st.

I have documented muliple emails from my SA stating that the FSD TRANSFER shows on my Account when he views my account on his Back End. Still I'm nervous that something may slip through the cracks.

When it's time to review final docs and pay my balance (cash), will I get a form to sign for the FSD TRANSFER or will the FSD just appear on my 2023 MXLR.

Really hope you all can give me some incite and manage my expectations.
Hi, any updates on how this went for you?

Hi, any updates on how this went for you?
@z5TLDT1UC8SW0G
Happy to say all went well. Actually took delivery December 20th and before I left the showroom, FSD was transferred.

I was proactive by visiting showroom about 3 days before delivery. I reiterated my struggles and showed them the verification from my SA.

The manager had an email sent to me with a Form for me to fill out & sign, which I did. After that everything went smoothly.

@z5TLDT1UC8SW0G
Happy to say all went well. Actually took delivery December 20th and before I left the showroom, FSD was transferred.

I was proactive by visiting showroom about 3 days before delivery. I reiterated my struggles and showed them the verification from my SA.

The manager had an email sent to me with a Form for me to fill out & sign, which I did. After that everything went smoothly.
Glad it went well. Where does it show you have FSD now? Did you get an updated purchase agreement or another document showing you had “purchased” it?

Glad it went well. Where does it show you have FSD now? Did you get an updated purchase agreement or another document showing you had “purchased” it?
@z5TLDT1UC8SW0G

The same day I took delivery, I received an email confirming that my FSD was transfered from my 2016 MX. Also, on my new 2023 MXLR in the AUTOPILOT section on the MCU Screen, it showed that FSD was an option to select. No where on my Purchase Agreement did it show that I purchased FSD on my 2023...since it was to be Transfered.

Reactions: z5TLDT1UC8SW0G