Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for recommendations for specific TOU Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure when things went wrong, but changes to the Powerwall firmware seem to have broken Time Based Control, because it's now based on a utility rate plan that one cannot avoid using, Previously, it would neither charge nor discharge during off-peak times.

Now if I give it a low price for off peak grid energy, it charges the battery during off peak, and leaves no room to store the energy from the solar panels the next day, which is exported instead, at a net loss since I get less for export than off-peak costs.

If I give it a high price for off peak grid energy, it won't use the grid to power the house during off-peak and instead discharges the battery. I have previously done calculations that indicate that using the battery during off-peak is not cost effective because the cost of the resulting reduction in battery outweighs the cost of the off-peak energy.

There is an advanced setting that would allow me to disable grid charging, but Tesla Customer Support tells me that this is not yet available in my area (Australia).

Perhaps someone knows a way to fudge this in the mean time?

As always, it's really frustrating when Tesla breaks something that was previously working, and we, the owners, have absolutely no say in it.

(moderator note)

Sorry for the thread title change. I originally combined this thread into the larger thread on TOU configuration under the new app settings. After I did so, I thought about it for a bit and decided that even though its the same topic, your request is different enough to stand on its own. I moved it back, but didnt have the original thread title so created this one.

(moderator note)

Sorry for the thread title change. I originally combined this thread into the larger thread on TOU configuration under the new app settings. After I did so, I thought about it for a bit and decided that even though its the same topic, your request is different enough to stand on its own. I moved it back, but didnt have the original thread title so created this one.
Actually, I think you were right. This thread isn't contributing anything new. Perhaps you should just delete it.

Sylvia.

The problem you might have is, the behavior you describe happening to you is, I believe, what most people want to happen. I use self powered myself, but most people on a TOU plan here in the US would want to fill up from the grid during off peak, and export all solar during the day and into peak, and run of powerwalls during that time.

In the US, if you are on a TOU plan, off peak is cheaper than peak, and we get credit for energy at the rate we would be charged for it at that time (at least until true up at the end of the year.

Most either wouldnt want to use the battery at all, saving it for backup purposes only if there is no delta between off peak and peak, or if there is, generate maximum credits so that they can help get through the winter months with credits built up during the spring / summer.

In the US we just ( as in like the past 3weeks or less) got access to grid charging ( some of us anyway) so this is new for us.

I dont think most people are in the situation you describe, so likely dont have any feedback for you.

Reactions: no2gates
There is an advanced setting that would allow me to disable grid charging, but Tesla Customer Support tells me that this is not yet available in my area (Australia).
I'm also in Australia and just got the advanced settings today with the upgrade to Android app Version 4.8.1-1032.

I can confirm in off-peak with charging from grid disabled it matches the house load from the grid and doesn't touch the battery.