Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for Wood Dash Alternatives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new Tesla Model 3P owner and love everything about the car so far... except for the light wood dash across the front and doors over black interior. I have seen a lot of color (i.e. carbon fiber, matte, etc.) but I would like your opinions and pictures if you have any. I am tempted to replace with some sort of white vinyl wrap to avoid too much dark on dark on dark.

Thoughts, recommendations, and pictures appreciated!

RPM Tesla alcantara dash
57C0F0F2-57DE-43E8-9A1B-A31BCF900658.jpeg

9BD611B4-802E-4FB0-9C95-25BCF8443623.jpeg

Initially, I went the same route as @TBrownTX (got a real carbon fiber replacement dashboard from RPMTesla). Unfortunately, when I installed their replacement dashboard, it simply did not fit my vehicle very well (see towards the end of TBrownTX’s linked thread for more details). It was really too bad, because I absolutely loved the look/finish of RPMTesla’s real carbon fiber dashboard and wanted to use it. However, I just could not live with the poor fitment and gaps. So, I returned it.

I ended up buying a roll of the 3M 2080 vinyl and did a custom wrap myself. It took me a few attempts to get the professional looking result that I wanted. In the end, it turned out perfect in every way, especially around the edges and corners. Better than what most pros can do, IMO. Like what some of the pros do, I applied a little of the 3M adhesion promoter to the high bend areas (corners) to make sure the vinyl will never start to lift/peel over time and after frequent temperature swings. After going through a hot summer and some relatively low temperatures so far this winter, I am confident the vinyl on my dashboard will never move/peel until I’m ready to remove it.

I was initially concerned how a vinyl wrap would look and hold up over time, especially on a somewhat exposed surface like the dashboard. Those concerns are gone and I‘m really glad I went with vinyl wrap. Gives you maximum flexibility in terms of changing to another pattern if you ever get board with the carbon fiber look, or pulling it completely off without leaving any marks/damage if you want to go back to the OEM wood look.

Photos of my vinyl custom install…

D1E1687E-D210-4F77-A4F4-CE922A377397.jpeg

39DFFCD1-40F2-4D0D-952B-B764E3238A7E.jpeg

1AB2FDBE-94F4-4B45-B3FA-2AE69ED87F7E.jpeg

B70D23BF-6D76-463E-A5DD-BD931D2578B5.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful work guys!

I've seen so much carbon-fiber in cars that I am shying away from going that route in this one. I'm looking for alternative colors that wont break the bank. The 2021/2022 dash is a little different as it blends into the same wood trim on the door panels. I wonder what the white panels from the white interior would look like... 9-)

Initially, I went the same route as @TBrownTX (got a real carbon fiber replacement dashboard from RPMTesla). Unfortunately, when I installed their replacement dashboard, it simply did not fit my vehicle very well (see towards the end of TBrownTX’s linked thread for more details). It was really too bad, because I absolutely loved the look/finish of RPMTesla’s real carbon fiber dashboard and wanted to use it. However, I just could not live with the poor fitment and gaps. So, I returned it.

I ended up buying a roll of the 3M 2080 vinyl and did a custom wrap myself. It took me a few attempts to get the professional looking result that I wanted. In the end, it turned out perfect in every way, especially around the edges and corners. Better than what most pros can do, IMO. Like what some of the pros do, I applied a little of the 3M adhesion promoter to the high bend areas (corners) to make sure the vinyl will never start to lift/peel over time and after frequent temperature swings. After going through a hot summer and some relatively low temperatures so far this winter, I am confident the vinyl on my dashboard will never move/peel until I’m ready to remove it.

I was initially concerned how a vinyl wrap would look and hold up over time, especially on a somewhat exposed surface like the dashboard. Those concerns are gone and I‘m really glad I went with vinyl wrap. Gives you maximum flexibility in terms of changing to another pattern if you ever get board with the carbon fiber look, or pulling it completely off without leaving any marks/damage if you want to go back to the OEM wood look.

Photos of my vinyl custom install…

View attachment 754532

View attachment 754533

View attachment 754535

View attachment 754537
This looks great! Can I ask about your process? I want to do the same with a piece of alcantara. How did you cut the vinyl to shape? What did you use for adhesive and how did you apply it?

This looks great! Can I ask about your process? I want to do the same with a piece of alcantara. How did you cut the vinyl to shape? What did you use for adhesive and how did you apply it?
Thanks. I used pretty much the exact same process/procedure as shown in the attached video. Fast forward to the 1:56 sec mark to see the start of the vinyl cut/install process. The guy doing the install is from Signature Custom Wraps & Coating. Good luck!!

Reactions: TBrownTX
...I ended up buying a roll of the 3M 2080 vinyl and did a custom wrap myself...
Love that material, my teen daughter's clunker shifter trim looked terrible, so I wrapped it, I xxxxed it up x2 but the end result was gorgeous and is still looking great two years later. FYI the 3M also comes in any color you can imagine, I used Ferrrari red to wrap my espresso machine.