Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy a used Y.. what year is best? 2021 or 2022? Any differences in them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at buying a used Y long range.. I have found a good low mileage 2021 that has the fsd option.. this car came with uss sensors.. do I need to upgrade the cameras on this car? If so is it a free upgrade? And do the uss sensors still work? For self parking etc? Can anyone tell me what changes are between 2021 and 2022? Also are there any options other than long range or performance? Leather seats? Or upgraded stereo? Etc? And given a choice of 2 identical cars with identical mileage one being a 2021 and the other a 2022 which would you choose?
Thanks for your help…

given a choice of 2 identical cars with identical mileage one being a 2021 and the other a 2022 which would you choose?

I think the major change are the USS censors, if still present, and the CPU used for the monitor.
Only the January 2022 and after have the AMD Ryzen, you can check if the Zoom App is listed to know about.

A nice feature is to have a trunk cover, check if both have one.

Also check if they still have an ODB2 plug, so you could use the Scan My Tesla phone App.

The 2022 should provide an extra year of warranty, but check which month they were build
(the date tag is located inside the frame of the driver door)

If same mileage, you could also check and compare how much worn are the tires using a digital tread gauge

Last edited:
I think the major change are the USS censors, if still present, and the CPU used for the monitor.
Only the January 2022 and after have the AMD Ryzen, you can check if the Zoom App is listed to know about.

A nice feature is to have a trunk cover, check if both have one.

Also check if they still have an ODB2 plug, so you could use the Scan My Tesla phone App.

The 2022 should provide an extra year of warranty, but check which month they were build
(the date tag is located inside the frame of the driver door)

If same mileage, you could also check and compare how much worn are the tires using a digital tread gauge
Thanks for your help...
they changed the CPU after jan. 2022? is the zoom app

major differences between 2021 and 2022, 2021 does not have heated steering wheels, also there were major upgrades in 2022 mid year which adds HEPA filter and Biodefence mode and updated center console. 2022 removed front radar. I'm sure there are more.

Thanks again... all good and valid points... does the new CPU make a notable difference? what is the Zoom App? meaning the video conference app? and that app only works with the newer CPU? and is the scan my Tesla App a diagnostic tool?
major differences between 2021 and 2022, 2021 does not have heated steering wheels, also there were major upgrades in 2022 mid year which adds HEPA filter and Biodefence mode and updated center console. 2022 removed front radar. I'm sure there are more.
thanks for the info… much appreciated..

My 2021 MYLR has a heated steering wheel, and the HEPA filter / Biodefence mode. Mine is an August 2021 build.

Reactions: gmetcalf18