Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a used Y with 60k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely don't have the budget for a new MYP but would be interested in a preowned MYP. Any reservations about buying a 2021 used Y with say 40-60k miles? I understand the warranty would be expired due to mileage but is it worth the risk? For argument sake say $57+ for new and $41k for used. I don't qualify for the tax credit and PA is 6% sales tax. Probably looking at close to a $20k difference......

Thanks.

Of course you can try to bargain shop, but just from going on Teslas used website (which is closer to be apples to apples as far as comparing to new car pricing)

2021 MYP.png

So, I guess that means if you want a model Y P and are finding a decent one for 40k you should likely buy it.

To OP's point, I am seeing some MYPs that are kind of far from me but may be closer to OP, that are right around $40k with less than 60k miles on them. Personally, I'd consider it if OP doesn't qualify for a tax credit on a new one that costs around $55k. A savings of $15k would convince me, personally, but that's just me:

1692832591135.png

Definitely don't have the budget for a new MYP but would be interested in a preowned MYP. Any reservations about buying a 2021 used Y with say 40-60k miles? I understand the warranty would be expired due to mileage but is it worth the risk? For argument sake say $57+ for new and $41k for used. I don't qualify for the tax credit and PA is 6% sales tax. Probably looking at close to a $20k difference......

Thanks.
I would not be eager to buy an older unit, unless the difference was at least 20k. There are several other improvements that have been made to improve the quality, computer hardware, camera vision, and drive motor design. It could be plausible that you can find a nearly new MY that has been purchased using the tax credits then sold to you for a somewhat discounted price. Maybe 6k less than list?

I understand the warranty would be expired due to mileage but is it worth the risk?

The general basic warranty does end at 50k miles, but the battery and drive train warranty is 120k miles / 8 years... at least that's what it is on mine. Might make you feel a bit better about buying used.

Personally, if I were going used to save on price, I'd steer clear from the Performance trim, since it's the premium priced option (read: highest margin).

I would get a new Standard range over a used performance. Or at least seek out a used LR, which is almost the same car as the P for thousands less.

The performance trim is not where the value is at.

Reactions: paracha3
Agree the Performance is not where the value is but it's what I want. Bought the wife a new 23 MYP and I'm addicted now. My ICE lease is up in March but I'm tempted to eat the 610/mo x 6 months and get a MYP sooner than March. I'm sure the used process will drop some but I have my eye on a 2021 MYP with about 56k miles for a good price.

The general basic warranty does end at 50k miles, but the battery and drive train warranty is 120k miles / 8 years... at least that's what it is on mine. Might make you feel a bit better about buying used.

Personally, if I were going used to save on price, I'd steer clear from the Performance trim, since it's the premium priced option (read: highest margin).

I would get a new Standard range over a used performance. Or at least seek out a used LR, which is almost the same car as the P for thousands less.

The performance trim is not where the value is at.
I would agree with this opinion on the performance package being an option that doesn’t bring much value. I guess some people need the top options, but our m3lr is plenty quick on the launch to beat nearly any other car. The brakes are more than capable if you have to use them.

Agree the Performance is not where the value is but it's what I want. Bought the wife a new 23 MYP and I'm addicted now. My ICE lease is up in March but I'm tempted to eat the 610/mo x 6 months and get a MYP sooner than March. I'm sure the used process will drop some but I have my eye on a 2021 MYP with about 56k miles for a good price.

Now you've painted a very different picture. 😄

Since you already have a Y, get a Model 3... it's more fun to drive and costs less. AFAIK, the federal credit becomes a retail point of sale discount on January 1st 2024. Since you're already in a lease, the most financially prudent choice would be to wait out the year and purchase in January... it could be a $10k difference for just waiting a few months.

Now you've painted a very different picture. 😄

Since you already have a Y, get a Model 3... it's more fun to drive and costs less. AFAIK, the federal credit becomes a retail point of sale discount on January 1st 2024. Since you're already in a lease, the most financially prudent choice would be to wait out the year and purchase in January... it could be a $10k difference for just waiting a few months.

Can't do a M3 because I need the space in the rear for work and generally carrying stuff around. I think a 21 MYP for 40k is a decent deal but still have the $3600 in lease payments due. I go by the "if your first offer didn't insult them then it wasn't low enough." Even if I found one for 40 I'd probably look to get to 38k.

Reactions: mark02115
Seems like you've already made up your mind. I think your reasoning is sound. I hope you find a great deal!