Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy my first Tesla...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've decided on purchasing my first Tesla and looking for a Model S 2016-2017. I know that I want the later release if I buy a 2016. I'm going to look a 2016 90D that's local to me tomorrow, it's high mileage but I think I can get the price right as they've had it for a bit. Question, how do I determine what version of AP it has? Anything else I should be looking for specifically? Appreciate any assistance you can provide.

I've decided on purchasing my first Tesla and looking for a Model S 2016-2017. I know that I want the later release if I buy a 2016. I'm going to look a 2016 90D that's local to me tomorrow, it's high mileage but I think I can get the price right as they've had it for a bit. Question, how do I determine what version of AP it has? Anything else I should be looking for specifically? Appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Easiest way to tell v1 vs v2 is whether there are cameras embedded in the B pillars. Since you're looking at a 2016, v2 is the highest version of the hardware it could have (which is good since I dont think there's an easy way to tell v2, 2.5 and 3 apart). I believe 2.5 is the minimum for sentry mode and dash cam.
https://fsmedia.imgix.net/8c/84/d6/86/c9ab/4de3/b5f3/b4e4e6485dc4/the-b-pillar-camera-might-one-day-be-used-to-read-your-face-and-unlock-the-car.jpeg?auto=format,compress&dpr=2&w=650

Easiest way to tell v1 vs v2 is whether there are cameras embedded in the B pillars. Since you're looking at a 2016, v2 is the highest version of the hardware it could have (which is good since I dont think there's an easy way to tell v2, 2.5 and 3 apart). I believe 2.5 is the minimum for sentry mode and dash cam.
https://fsmedia.imgix.net/8c/84/d6/86/c9ab/4de3/b5f3/b4e4e6485dc4/the-b-pillar-camera-might-one-day-be-used-to-read-your-face-and-unlock-the-car.jpeg?auto=format,compress&dpr=2&w=650
Thanks so much, that's a big help!