Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

Looking to purchase: 2012 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's possible, but you are may have to wait. At "low twenties" even with high mileage you are looking at the value of the pack and the motor. The EV conversion guys buy up ALL the auction cars and even eBay cars in this price range to take the packs apart and use the modules and motors for their conversions.

Prices should be dropping drastically in 2020, making the 2012 - 2013 7-8 year old cars.

With signs of other alternatives out there, we should be seeing a decent drop in prices, at least with the used inventory since supply is way higher compared to demand.

Also, the modules in the old 60 and 85 packs are extremely popular for those doing DIY powerwalls. The cost per kWh is multiples lower than buying PW2 from Tesla, and there are 3rd party systems available to build out BMS controllers, housing units for the modules, etc.

My point, there is a significant secondary market for these batteries still.

I am looking to purchase an 2012 to 2013 Tesla Model S, Consumer Reports as well as Kelley Blue Book states this cars value to be in the low to mid twenties. I can’t find one this cheap for the life of me and am wondering if anyone is looking to sell for this price
I live 20 minutes away from you and we traded in my wife's 2012 Model S with 78k miles in October. Just an FYI, her car was a basic S85, but it had essentially every available option. It was in very good condition and Carvana gave us a little over $28k on the trade in.

You might find one at the top of your mid 20's budget with higher mileage than ours had or maybe with a 60kw battery, but a nice condition S with moderate miles might be closer to 30k, especially a private sale. Good luck.