Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to Rent a Model S for a day near LAX.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

satoshi

Electrical Engineer
Jan 29, 2016
United States
Hi Tesla Motors!

May 10th, I'll be headed down to California to pick up some airbags for the Model S I'm rebuilding, and also to visit a friend who recently graduated with her Ph. D and now works/lives in California.

Also, since California is where Teslas are quite ample, there's an increased chance I can rent one from someone for a day. (5/10 noon to 5/11 noon)

Number of reasons to rent a model S specifically:

1. Get a feel for how the model S handles when in working condition for troubleshooting purposes.
2. Observe how regenerative braking is designed on the model S, as I'm likely to be helping with the design of the regenerative braking system for our University's Formula Electric Racecar.
3. Experience supercharging at some point in the day, observing how the cooling systems manage the battery health while doing so (something also I will need to be designing for the Formula car).

Please PM me with daily rates or questions,

Sincerely,

Satosh

Potential concerns people may have:

"You're rebuilding an S... How do I know you won't steal any parts off my car?"

1. Unethical, and illegal as hell, plus those parts being used on the car wouldn't allow me to pass salvage inspection as they (salvage inspector aka State Patrol) check VINs and receipts.

2. One point of the project is to point out the futility of Tesla's parts ban by legal means... theft of current owners parts is not conducive to this statement. So there's that as well.

3. It should be worth noting I need to keep a clean record in the interest of obtaining visas for the variety of international travel I expect in my career post-graduation (this is a likely scenario as I can speak 4 languages which combined with engineering skills usually leads to such).

"Something Something 23 year olds speed!!!"

-As mentioned above... designing a racecar, high speeds not exactly unfamiliar territory for myself... and good old Wisconsin Winter Driving has made me an excellent driver.

-That said, if you are uncomfortable with high speeds, I'll respect whatever top speed you'd ask on an informal basis.

-If that is insufficient, then valet mode is also an option. The only qualm I have of this is simply that valet mode usually disables autopilot if you have it. (Non-autopilot car rental is certainly OK too... the car I'm rebuilding doesn't have autopilot so that actually is better).

-Last time I was in an accident was over 5 years ago and was rear-ended by some guy on his cell-phone not paying attention to the road.

Other questions about my driving abilities? Feel free to PM me with questions.

"Alcohol, Drugs, etc. Will I be sober?"

A medical condition of the liver (Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis) does not really allow any such consumption... Plus I happen to just enjoy being sober anyway. So I'm a lifetime designated driver usually.

Last edited:
Yep, relayrides @ Turo – Rent unique cars or earn money renting your car.. Twelve Model S available at LAX.
Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 6.58.52 AM.png