Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looped Supply - Home Charge Point Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator comment - similar thread merged from "Home Charger on a Looped connection"

Hello Wonderful People,

I am trying to get a pod point tethered connection installed and was told that my mid terrace is in a looped connection so the charger can't be installed till its unlooped by the DNO. All news to me - then googled to find out its not a rarity either :( The DNO is SSEN - does anyone have any experience of dealing with them - if so how do I get in touch with them - will they do the work for free? After having spent a fair few on the car, the last thing I want to do is spend more on getting the electric wires sorted for something that I didn't even do/get done in the first place.

Thanks a lot for any help on how to get this sorted.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have a similar issue but with Western Power, not SSEN. I ordered an Anderson unit including installation, and they checked with the DNO for supply compliance. Turns out my supply is registered as being looped from a next door property. Western Power came and inspected and will un-loop and run a new supply to me free of charge. Only downside is it will take 4 weeks as involves civil roadwork. Anderson will then install my charge unit (unfortunately it will be after my M3P is delivered on the 17th).
Hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Hi, I have a similar issue but with Western Power, not SSEN. I ordered an Anderson unit including installation, and they checked with the DNO for supply compliance. Turns out my supply is registered as being looped from a next door property. Western Power came and inspected and will un-loop and run a new supply to me free of charge. Only downside is it will take 4 weeks as involves civil roadwork. Anderson will then install my charge unit (unfortunately it will be after my M3P is delivered on the 17th).
Hope that helps.
different DNO's behave very differently so outside of what is mandated by their contracts it's a bit a lottery who does what job for how much and what they charge as far as I can see. I am kind of surprised that Western, who are also my DNO, did your unlooping for free. That seems very unlike them.

Moderator comment - similar thread merged from "Home Charger on a Looped connection"

Hello Wonderful People,

I am trying to get a pod point tethered connection installed and was told that my mid terrace is in a looped connection so the charger can't be installed till its unlooped by the DNO. All news to me - then googled to find out its not a rarity either :( The DNO is SSEN - does anyone have any experience of dealing with them - if so how do I get in touch with them - will they do the work for free? After having spent a fair few on the car, the last thing I want to do is spend more on getting the electric wires sorted for something that I didn't even do/get done in the first place.

Thanks a lot for any help on how to get this sorted.

Cheers
Cant offer any insight I am afraid but I would say go on their web site https://www.ssen.co.uk/Home/ and use the contact methods outlined there. That's how I contact my DNO. May not be free. Seems though that Some DNO's have allowed fuse upgrades and chargers on looped supply so maybe it will not need unlooping?

Cant offer any insight I am afraid but I would say go on their web site https://www.ssen.co.uk/Home/ and use the contact methods outlined there. That's how I contact my DNO. May not be free. Seems though that Some DNO's have allowed fuse upgrades and chargers on looped supply so maybe it will not need unlooping?

My neighbour was looped from us and Western Power did all the unlooping work on both properties for free. We didn't contact them direct though - the charger installer liaised with them - wonder if that makes a difference? Took about 4 weeks from start to finish.

I had an OHME point fitted a few months back - the installer went ahead with the install but highlighted the lack of main earth terminal on my service and contacted the DNO on my behalf. They sent someone out a few days later and informed me I was on a looped supply - SPEN are the DNO.

They made a fuss about the installer going ahead with the job - but agreed to return and fit an RCD to allow the install to be completed. They've now lettered the street and a result of the loop system we're all getting a renewed main and individual services installed - all foc.

From the discussions I've had it would appear that looped systems aren't up to date, and while they're OK insofar as being safe - when they come across them they're duty bound to upgrade them so I'd caution against anyone being told that they need to pay - regardless of whether your initial issue is due to additional capacity being required.

My son in Birmingham is looped in from his neighbour's property, and his supplier told him between 1.5k and 3k to provide a new supply to his house. But if his neighbour asked for a new separate supply they could have it installed for free and then they would have to install my son a new separate supply as well and his would then be free as well. He is being very nice to his neighbour.

Just had an email from my charging point installer and we are looped as well.

Looks like we are looped from my neighbours’ property as we’d need a circuit board of some description fitted and ENW said the work would be free. Not sure what my neighbour is going to say. It looks like they may need to dig up part of his land to disconnect us and also lay a new cable to us from the other side of his house across the front of his driveway on the public footpath and then down between our houses.

My neighbours loop onto me. ENWL have said they'll unloop us for free too - need a trench across the road and new cable for neighbour. Chatted to neighbour last night and he is fine with it. (Think it helps he has a hybrid and currently charges via extension cable!) . DNO said timeframe of around 6-8weeks, haven't spoken to Pod-Point yet as OLEV has just been approved, I had an email from ENWL about it.