Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loose rear fender liner retainer nuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some examining of the exterior of my new M3 LR. For each rear fender, there are 6 (by my count) threaded metal studs with circular black plastic nuts holding the fender liners. I found every one of these nuts to be loose. They varied from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch out from seated with the liner held in.

I tightened them all up by hand to "thumb and index finger" tightness. Was I correct in doing this? Should they be tighter or looser, and if so, by how much?

The photo shows one of these nuts (after I tightened it).

M3_fender_nut.jpg

I tightened the ones on my frunk, they actually were pretty loose! My undercarriage was not clipped on the driver's side so I made sure they were are snapped in correct. My right hand passenger camera still had the factory plastic on it! so I kept receiving something is blocking the camera warning, once I removed the plastic the warning was gone. My rear brake light fogged up, so I had Tesla replace it.

Who the hell is doing quality control on these vehicles! and now the loose bolts on the brakes?!

I think all they worry about is the bugs running the code on the car!

other than that, the car rocks! 😁

I tightened the ones on my frunk, they actually were pretty loose! My undercarriage was not clipped on the driver's side so I made sure they were are snapped in correct. My right hand passenger camera still had the factory plastic on it! so I kept receiving something is blocking the camera warning, once I removed the plastic the warning was gone. My rear brake light fogged up, so I had Tesla replace it.

Who the hell is doing quality control on these vehicles! and now the loose bolts on the brakes?!

I think all they worry about is the bugs running the code on the car!

other than that, the car rocks! 😁
Meh, happens with other manufacturers as well. My GTI still had the suspension brace pucks that were supposed to be removed from the dealership as pre-delivery.

Yeah, those nuts are designed to be pushed straight on for production speed though you can certainly spin them instead. I popped my head into the wheel wells last month while the tire shop was changing my wheels and found the exact same thing, they were all only 3/4 pushed on so I tightened them up. I was also missing a rivet on the right rear well that I'll have to remember to mention at some future service appt.