Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Los Angeles to Oakland route recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone taken a trip from LA to the East Bay in their Model 3 SR+ before? I'm planning a trip this weekend and was wondering where they've had success stopping along the way up I-5, across I-580, etc. Just looking for any advice I can get. Was thinking of doing a stop in Kettleman City, and another in Livermore.

Roughly, any idea how long I should stop at each location?

Thanks in advance!

You should be fine stopping at Harris Ranch, Tejon depending on where you're going. Gustine, Kettleman City, and Santa Clarita is a good option. It depends where you're going in LA and how long you'll sit in traffic. It's easy enough to make a mid course correction if it's really hot or run into heavy traffic.

You should be fine stopping at Harris Ranch, Tejon depending on where you're going. Gustine, Kettleman City, and Santa Clarita is a good option. It depends where you're going in LA and how long you'll sit in traffic. It's easy enough to make a mid course correction if it's really hot or run into heavy traffic.

I'm going from LA to Oakland, south to north. But thanks for the tips, I'll remember those spots.

I've driven from LA to northern California a few times recently. Kettleman city is one of my favorites. One issue I've had lately is the lack of restrooms due to Covid. Kettleman always has clean available restrooms, and so does Hollister. Some of the rest areas are closed, so don't count on those.

Kettleman is a great stop if you’ve never been, particularly in the era of Covid.

Livermore is only 72kw so not bad if you just need to top off before getting to your destination, but might want to watch Dublin as you’re getting close - if not too busy I might go there instead.