Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loss of battery charge when on driveway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having charged the car to 85% (standard) the Sunday evening and not used since I have just gone to the vehcile for a short trip and its down at 77% - is this normal for the current weather/cold conditions or does this feel a little extreme ?

1. Was it still plugged in?
2. Do you have sentry mode on even if at home?
3. Did you pre-heat the car?

The weather being cold does sap some juice out of the battery - was at 39% when parking the car at center parcs last week, when I went back to the car a 5 days later it was at 36% all due to cold loss.

On the drive I always leave it plugged in just to top up every night if I get some loss due to low temps

Sentry mode I leave off unless parked somewhere a bit risky if i'm concerned about battery life.

1. Was it still plugged in?
2. Do you have sentry mode on even if at home?
3. Did you pre-heat the car?

The weather being cold does sap some juice out of the battery - was at 39% when parking the car at center parcs last week, when I went back to the car a 5 days later it was at 36% all due to cold loss.

On the drive I always leave it plugged in just to top up every night if I get some loss due to low temps

Sentry mode I leave off unless parked somewhere a bit risky if i'm concerned about battery life.

Answer is No to all - which worries me specifically on #2 and #3
Feels like after 5 days at centre parcs for me it would be totally dead at a rate of 8% per day

I've noticed this recently too - I don't think its anything wrong with the car.

Recent updates have included a lot of flip flopping on "cold weather improvements" - there have been issues in very cold climates with heating failure which Tesla seem to be having problems root causing (some say its the heat pump, some say its a sensor, some say its an air flap). and have been trying to address via software. My experience has been this drain coming and going with various software updates.

I think this has resulted in a number of software changes that affect the way the car behaves when its parked on the drive and the focus has been on solving the heat failure issue. A little bit of excess battery drain is probably not considered as important and I would expect/hope/believe this would be addressed by another software update "sometime".

Reactions: bl0ckev
Has it installed any software updates while being sat there? (currently a number of updates rolling out to a lot of cars) as that'll use a bit of juice.

If not, log it up with Tesla - they'll be able to check the car remotely and tell you what's causing the drain.

Any third party apps using your Tesla login ?
+1 to this.

Without standing next to your car it's pretty much impossible to tell whether it's asleep or not. Unfortunately, opening the Tesla app - even if it just gets to the logo animation - will wake the car up.

You can end up in a bit of a weird situation where you need a third party app to tell whether your car is asleep or not, but that third party app (if misconfigured) could itself keep the car awake. Intuitively losing that amount of charge would suggest to me that the car isn't going to sleep properly, or is waking up several times.

if you are using third party apps I would suggest changing your password and then repeating the test, ideally with the same weather conditions, and seeing what the battery % loss is like then. I would also hasten to add that in this weather the difference in battery % between a cold battery and one up to temperature (i.e. after you've finished charging it) could be a few degrees. As I write this TeslaMate is telling me there is a 2% delta between the current charge percentage and "preconditioned" state - and it's not sub zero here at the moment.

Here’s my settings which seem to work (I'm assuming you mean Location access):

B7E7C253-8E83-41EF-9857-C9A182C74EBF.png

(I have 4.5.0 installed but not opened the app yet because I don’t want to wake the car up)

When you entered the car before your short journey, do you remember if the blue snowflake was showing next to the battery %? This time of year, especially if the car is sitting idle for days, it's usual for the battery to be cold. When this occurs, the car will intentionally hold some capacity back until the battery has been sufficiently warmed, whereby it will give return the capacity back to you, so the % charge first indicated will appear to be less. It's explained in the manual :

1643109229106.png

When you entered the car before your short journey, do you remember if the blue snowflake was showing next to the battery %? This time of year, especially if the car is sitting idle for days, it's usual for the battery to be cold. When this occurs, the car will intentionally hold some capacity back until the battery has been sufficiently warmed, whereby it will give return the capacity back to you, so the % charge first indicated will appear to be less. It's explained in the manual :

View attachment 759901
No, there was no snowflake icon but great to know. Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
Reactions: Louis0w