Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud motor sound when running the AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our local service center said it was normal in hot weather after tesla said it was an issue. Sad that in hot weather our model s is the loudest car at stop lights or in the parking lot.

Now that it is starting to get warmer in FL this is driving me nuts. I can hear the car from across the parking lot. If I am in a drive through the person at the window can barely hear me over the fan. This really should be fixed, as it is probably my biggest complaint about the car. (Which I suppose is a good thing)

Mine used to sound like a large swarm of very angry bees when it was hot outside. I wouldn't use it in the presence of people, it was so loud. However, just had my car in for service and asked them to take a look. The report says they changed the bracket and installed some sound insulation. Major improvement. I don't think they swapped out the compressor entirely, but they definitely applied a significant fix.

So far, I have found using Range Mode keeps the compressor quieter, and the car has been quite comfortable here in the mid 80's (and humid).
+1
I put my car in range mode nearly a year ago and haven't touched it since, and it gets hot here in FL. I do precool my car as well, but if I forget, I don't get that jet engine noise anymore.

There is an update for this issue. It's a new bracket and an insulating blanket wrap for the compressor. On my last service visit they installed the blanket but did not have the bracket. I heard no improvement when I got it back so either the bracket is crucial or there is contact between the compressor/lines and either the frunk tub or some other part of the chassis that is amplifying the sound.

• Informative
Reactions: MassModel3
I wish the compressor in the MS was a quiet as the one in my Mitsubishi I-MiEV. EV's seem to run the gambit on compressor noise. My first A/C equipped EV's were Chevrolet S10-E's that had a compressor that was the loudest thing I had ever heard in a vehicle. I hope the EV1 didn't have the same one as it would be really bad in a passenger car. Next was my RAV4-EV that had a reasonably quiet compressor but had marginal A/C output. Then was the Nissan LEAF with a quiet compressor. I also had a Prius with electric A/C compressor that you could never hear over the engine. The best by far is on the I-MiEV---almost no noise or vibration. Looking at the compressor, it might be a scroll design and not a reciprocating style which I fear may be in the MS. It has a built in inverter powered by the HV DC battery (360 volts) with variable speed drive like the MS. It is built by Mitsubishi (who are really big in the split-system A/C business) and it looks and operates like a quality piece. The system also seems to have a ton of capacity compared to the size of the car it is installed in. It would be great if Tesla engineering grafted one into a MS to see how good it works.

There is an update for this issue. It's a new bracket and an insulating blanket wrap for the compressor. On my last service visit they installed the blanket but did not have the bracket. I heard no improvement when I got it back so either the bracket is crucial or there is contact between the compressor/lines and either the frunk tub or some other part of the chassis that is amplifying the sound.
Last week service installed the A/C "acoustic cover" in my MS but didn't install the bracket. I noticed a significant improvement in the low frequency vibration/rumble when the compressor runs, perhaps I didn't have any contact of the compressor or lines with anything and didn't need the bracket. It's now acceptable inside the cabin, but the loud compressor exterior fan spin-up still occurs after the car has been parked in high heat. This is not as annoying inside the cabin as the compressor vibration/rumble was, but it draws attention from people outside the cabin since it is louder than many ICE cars.