Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud noise from Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI, Let me check it again. Please confirm if this hill hold appear when you hit the brake to stop with the creep mode off?
thanks again!! very kind of you to explain all this.

Right. As I said I never use creep mode. So just come to a stop at a light. Leave your foot on the brake for a second or so and the H appears.

Someone said you can get the same thing if you hold your foot on the brake for 3-4 seconds with creep mode enable, but I have never tried it.

HI, Let me check it again. Please confirm if this hill hold appear when you hit the brake to stop with the creep mode off?
HI,
Yes, on the way home today, I noticed there is the H whenever I applied the brake hard enough (no H on light pressing of the brake). I have also viewed the video on youtube regarding the noise when you turn the steering wheel while on the hill hold mode. So I will pay attention tomorrow to see if I press the brake slightly so no H and switch to drive, so hopefully no loud noise. Hope this works. I also notice that the car roll down slightly on the hill when I release the brake and not yet apply the acceleration, is the H is to prevent the car from roll down?? or what is its purpose?
Thank you so much for your expertise advise.

HI, This morning after I backed out of my drive way, I applied the brake very lightly, no Hill hold appeared and then switched to Drive, NO NOISE!!!! Now I think I know what created the noise, please correct me if I am wrong. I think the Hill hold locked the gear, and so when I switched to drive, the noise is due to the unlocking of the gear from brake to drive. The noise also happens when I press hard or slam
on the brake due to a yellow light, hill hold appeared and locked the gear, so when I accelerate the car, the noise is due to the car try to unlock the gear from brake to drive. So to avoid the noise, I think I will apply the brake lightly on flat road. On hilly road, I think may be hill hold can help preventing the car from rolling. I am so happy that may be I do not have to bring my car in for service after all. I will try again this afternoon after work to see if this is still the case. I appreciate so much you take your time out of your busy schedule to provide very helpful and useful information to anyone out there who need help!!! Thank you!!

HI, This morning after I backed out of my drive way, I applied the brake very lightly, no Hill hold appeared and then switched to Drive, NO NOISE!!!! Now I think I know what created the noise, please correct me if I am wrong. I think the Hill hold locked the gear, and so when I switched to drive, the noise is due to the unlocking of the gear from brake to drive. The noise also happens when I press hard or slam
on the brake due to a yellow light, hill hold appeared and locked the gear, so when I accelerate the car, the noise is due to the car try to unlock the gear from brake to drive. So to avoid the noise, I think I will apply the brake lightly on flat road. On hilly road, I think may be hill hold can help preventing the car from rolling. I am so happy that may be I do not have to bring my car in for service after all. I will try again this afternoon after work to see if this is still the case. I appreciate so much you take your time out of your busy schedule to provide very helpful and useful information to anyone out there who need help!!! Thank you!!

If the noise should be more like a soft thunk. If it is loud enough that you feel you need to change your driving style to avoid it, I would still take it in to service and have them go with you on a test drive. Better safe than sorry.

HI,
Yes, on the way home today, I noticed there is the H whenever I applied the brake hard enough (no H on light pressing of the brake). I have also viewed the video on youtube regarding the noise when you turn the steering wheel while on the hill hold mode. So I will pay attention tomorrow to see if I press the brake slightly so no H and switch to drive, so hopefully no loud noise. Hope this works. I also notice that the car roll down slightly on the hill when I release the brake and not yet apply the acceleration, is the H is to prevent the car from roll down?? or what is its purpose?
Thank you so much for your expertise advise.

Hill holds purpose is to keep a car from moving on any incline. Unlike ICE cars, even when a Tesla is in drive, the car can roll with gravity even on a slight incline. It is like an ICE car in neutral. The Hill Hold prevents this unexpected movement when you come to a complete stop. Note, Hill hold does not engage if have not been completely stopped with your foot on the brake for a second or so.

If the noise should be more like a soft thunk. If it is loud enough that you feel you need to change your driving style to avoid it, I would still take it in to service and have them go with you on a test drive. Better safe than sorry.

Hi, I want to bring in to have they check it out, but I need to commute to work, I don't know if they will offer a loaner car because they said the appointment is for drop off only. Based on your recommendation, I think I should bring it in to have it check out to be safe. Thanks again!

I've found that my X makes a noise after I back out of my garage and then pressing the brake as I turn my steering wheel and put it into Drive. A tech said that is normal.

I've also found my X makes a grinding noise when I back out of my garage after it's sat for a little while. The noise seems to stop once I start moving after a minute. Another user on here said that was normal as well.

Those are the brakes and rotors.

My Model X p100d 12.2019 makes the same noise on acceleration! Always on cold start. After 30min running it seems to stopped. I tried it at different suspension height but still making the annoying rubbing /crackling sound from the front axle