Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low tire pressure warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a low tire pressure warning on my front left. Showed 36 psi with the others at 46. I got to my office and checked it with the gauge I keep in the car. 46. Waited half an hour and took it for a drive. The error was still there but the pressure on screen reads 46 now. Did a reboot and it cleared and shows 46 all around. I do have my summers in the car as I plan on getting them swapped today or tomorrow. Could the car have read those tires?

It takes 10 to 15 minutes for the warning to go away after they come up to pressure. In the summer mine are around 38psi and will get to 43 after some driving. It is a little weird that only one was showing low.

My left rear tire always loses pressure quicker than the others. I don’t think it is a leak because it takes weeks but for example yesterday the other three were at 41 or 42 and the left rear was at 38. Went to discount tire to have them all filled up and the left rear was indeed low. Filled them all up to 45 and my warning light stayed on for my 30 minute drive home but it cleared the next time I was in the car

My left rear tire always loses pressure quicker than the others. I don’t think it is a leak because it takes weeks but for example yesterday the other three were at 41 or 42 and the left rear was at 38. Went to discount tire to have them all filled up and the left rear was indeed low. Filled them all up to 45 and my warning light stayed on for my 30 minute drive home but it cleared the next time I was in the car
I was surprised by the sudden reported drop of 10 psi on that one tire only. As well as it later being reported back at 46 with no air added, after a long drive.

I don’t think it is a leak because it takes weeks
That's probably only "not a leak" in that it is a "slow leak". :)

Recommend you first check the tire for a nail/screw puncture somewhere. If left there the leak will eventually speed up. If you can't find an obvious place were it could be leaking you can put soapy water in a bottle and douse your wheel with it. Even very slow leaks like that will start blowing a bubble if you have patience, so you may get lucky and spot it that way. A common spot is along the seal between the rim and tire, because of something stuck in-between. Note that it is possible that the leak is in the rim as occasionally rims will have tiny, pinhole flaws due to manufacturing defect.

If you still can't find it you could have it looked at at a local tire shop. They'll probably pull it off and dunk it in water to find the leak.

Last edited:
My own TPMS experience for reference - I took delivery and after a mile I got low tire pressure warning with RR tire at 20 PSI, I pulled at the nearest gas station to check and add air. It looked fine at 44, added air to get it to 47 and left. Warning stayed. I drove home, checked all my tires and found RL was at 20PSI, not RR as per the TPMS reading. Filled up the tires, set a service with Tesla to remap the sensors. Now after service, I'm still to find if they fixed it, since my tires are inflated well and not alarming.

That's probably only "not a leak" in that it is a "slow leak". :)

Recommend you first check the tire for a nail/screw puncture somewhere. If left there the leak will eventually speed up. If you can't find an obvious place were it could be leaking you can put soapy water in a bottle and douse your wheel with it. Even very slow leaks like that will start blowing a bubble if you have patience, so you may get lucky and spot it that way. A common spot is along the seal between the rim and tire, because of something stuck in-between. Note that it is possible that the leak is in the rim as occasionally rims will have tiny, pinhole flaws due to manufacturing defect.

If you still can't find it you could have it looked at at a local tire shop. They'll probably pull it off and dunk it in water to find the leak.

I did have Tesla look at it when it was at the service center for another issue back in January and they said they didn’t find anything wrong with the tire. I’m a little skeptical and think they probably aren’t really tire experts so who knows.

I did have Tesla look at it when it was at the service center for another issue back in January and they said they didn’t find anything wrong with the tire. I’m a little skeptical and think they probably aren’t really tire experts so who knows.
Well probably not a obvious foreign object puncture then, which is good. Those are the ones that tend to more readily work a bigger leak over time.

It is a really slow leak of some sort. If they didn't pull it off and fully immerse it good chance they just missed it. I don't know about standard SC procedures in that matter. You might have to just wait for the leak to get a little faster....or if it doesn't, the tires to wear out and replaced. If it stays through a tire change then it'll likely be a rim pinhole defect, or a value stem issue.

• Informative
Reactions: ChrisH