Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an FYI for anyone in Pennsylvania(and other states where proof of current insurance isn’t enough) patiently waiting: the account page says the Tesla VIN must be present on the insurance policy that you upload. I got this text yesterday:

“Please log in to your Tesla account and upload your currently valid insurance to receive priority VIN assignment.”

A little confused, I called support and they told me that although the account page says a VIN is necessary on the policy, they actually only need proof of current insurance. I would then need to bring proof of insurance on the Model 3 at the time of delivery. Hope this helps anyone like me who was waiting to upload insurance because they haven’t been assigned a VIN. Also hoping this hasn’t delayed my VIN assignment.

Just an FYI for anyone in Pennsylvania(and other states where proof of current insurance isn’t enough) patiently waiting: the account page says the Tesla VIN must be present on the insurance policy that you upload. I got this text yesterday:

“Please log in to your Tesla account and upload your currently valid insurance to receive priority VIN assignment.”

A little confused, I called support and they told me that although the account page says a VIN is necessary on the policy, they actually only need proof of current insurance. I would then need to bring proof of insurance on the Model 3 at the time of delivery. Hope this helps anyone like me who was waiting to upload insurance because they haven’t been assigned a VIN. Also hoping this hasn’t delayed my VIN assignment.

I don’t have a car currently hence don’t have insurance. Tesla Sales told me I will need the VIN to get insurance. That’s completely opposite of what I have heard. Not sure what to do now.
Ordered 7/25 and still waiting for VIN.

I don’t have a car currently hence don’t have insurance. Tesla Sales told me I will need the VIN to get insurance. That’s completely opposite of what I have heard. Not sure what to do now.
Ordered 7/25 and still waiting for VIN.
Per the Tesla account page, your Tesla VIN must be listed on your insurance policy, with the exception of these states:
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Tennessee
  • Virginia
  • Washington

Interesting. I’m in MO so one of the states where you need a VIN. I uploaded my current policy so I guess we’ll see if it speeds things up. I guess worst case someone contacts me and says it won’t work until I get a VIN.

Stopped in to the Tampa SC today, as I hadn't received any texts or emails regarding possible delivery. The kind SA looked up my profile and said I should have my VIN within a week, the car out of the factory about the same time and delivery tentatively scheduled for September 2nd. Excitement abounds!

Per the Tesla account page, your Tesla VIN must be listed on your insurance policy, with the exception of these states:
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Tennessee
  • Virginia
  • Washington
I'm in NJ. So need a What do folks upload if one does not have a current insurance policy? Just wait for the VIN and hope you get it one day, or upload a temporary quote?

I'm in NJ. So need a What do folks upload if one does not have a current insurance policy? Just wait for the VIN and hope you get it one day, or upload a temporary quote?
Yes. I'm in Texas and that's what my SA told me to do. My Tesla account page has been on left on the "Upload Proof of Insurance" step for over a month now. It'll have to be done before accepting delivery, but it won't stop you from getting assigned a VIN or your delivery date.

I called my Sales Center to check-in and they said they are looking up on factory schedule, then told me that production should be this week, and I should expect a VIN this week and if I don't have one until Mon-Tue then to follow up and call again, they will check.

Sounds optimistic, but don't want to get my hopes too high. Fingers crossed.

I called my Sales Center to check-in and they said they are looking up on factory schedule, then told me that production should be this week, and I should expect a VIN this week and if I don't have one until Mon-Tue then to follow up and call again, they will check.

Sounds optimistic, but don't want to get my hopes too high. Fingers crossed.

When did you place your order. I placed mine on 8/1 and anxiously waiting. lol

This is exactly what I had to do. I can confirm it was smooth sailing.

This is exactly what I had to do. I can confirm it was smooth sailing.
I asked my Sales agent directly if uploading any insurance information would make any difference to my case (i don't have an insurance right now and cannot upload one). She mentioned that it won't make a difference to getting the VIN assigned. However, as soon as I have the VIN, I would be required to upload the insurance information to get the delivery.

Yes, it seems to be a bit of a crapshoot! I ordered white/black w/ 19" sport wheels on 7/12 with 4-8 week estimate. No VIN yet and no communication from my SA. I did receive the dreaded 5-8 week text a couple weeks back which seemed to indicate my timeline had reset.

keep an eye on your text messages; lots of people report they heard about the car via Text from Tesla before the SA got back to them; i heard that my car was ready to have a delivery scheduled via text; then the SA reached out!

I asked my Sales agent directly if uploading any insurance information would make any difference to my case (i don't have an insurance right now and cannot upload one). She mentioned that it won't make a difference to getting the VIN assigned. However, as soon as I have the VIN, I would be required to upload the insurance information to get the delivery.

So, I'll throw my experience into the mix here; at the beginning of the process, my SA definitely told me to upload POI into the "My Account" section on the website for any car that I currently own; they did indicate that this was not required but would help "expedite things"; (not sure I buy it or not); once my delivery was ready for scheduling, I saw a VIN attached to my lending agreement that was then available to me in "My Account"; shortly after my delivery was scheduled, I was sent another message (via text) saying that I needed to upload an updated insurance card (although this may have been because my insurance had coincidentally expired); I was then contacted by my SA to discuss my delivery and was reminded again to have a POI ready to produce on delivery day or better yet - uploaded into the system; but this time - the POI would be required to have the TM3 listed on the policy specific to the VIN I had been assigned. I uploaded the amended insurance card into the "My Account" section of the website - and was NOT asked for it at delivery day.

John