Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, you are making me-hopefull!!!! If you don't mind me asking how were you notified? Did they call you, text? Every time my phone rings my blood pressure goes up. Thank you for responding!

I pestered the delivery center person in Bellevue. He told me my car just left the factory. I believe I was first made aware things were moving when I received my VIN on my Tesla account. Had the car home three days later. One day to ship it up from SoCal and in day for Bellevue to do whatever.

I was going to do that, but our panel is flush mounted in the wall.

My main panel was as well, but I surface mounted the sub panel.

panel.jpg

Ah damn! Good to know. What mode will it run on with 6GA and a 50A breaker?

32 amps, I think. If you change the breaker to 60 amps, and your 6 AWG run is not too long, you're probably still okay, but check local code or an electrician to confirm - before doing anything. This is a good thread to scan as well.

Attempt at having Tesla install wall connector.

Last edited:
Ah damn! Good to know. What mode will it run on with 6GA and a 50A breaker?

32 amps, I think. If you change the breaker to 60 amps, and your 6 AWG run is not too long, you're probably still okay, but check local code or an electrician to confirm - before doing anything. This is a good thread to scan as well.

Attempt at having Tesla install wall connector.

If you have a 50A breaker you can set the HPWC to run at 40A (remember, maximum continuous output should not exceed 80% of the circuit breaker’s capability).

There’s a lot of options on the dial for the HPWC. Can even set it to 36A (45A breaker)

If you have a 50A breaker you can set the HPWC to run at 40A (remember, maximum continuous output should not exceed 80% of the circuit breaker’s capability).

There’s a lot of options on the dial for the HPWC. Can even set it to 36A (45A breaker)

Agreed. If you bought the HPWC to get the max 48 amps out of it, you will need the 6O amp breaker. If your running a new line with 6 AWG or lower, and buying the HPWC, why not use $10 60 amp breaker over the $20 50 amp breaker. You can also alway dial down the actual charging amps from the car or app. I do this for example - “40/48” setting is how I usually run.

Reactions: Joey_82
I'm on day 5 and haven't heard anything. I probably refresh the account page in my Tesla account multiple times a day.

I also ordered the HPWC on Sunday but also haven't heard back on that even after I emailed to see if I could get the 24' cable. But either way, electrician is coming next Wed. to run the power! I'm thinking if the HPWC isn't here yet I'll just have them put in a 50amp for now and I'll switch it out to a 60amp later myself.

I'm on day 5 and haven't heard anything. I probably refresh the account page in my Tesla account multiple times a day.

I also ordered the HPWC on Sunday but also haven't heard back on that even after I emailed to see if I could get the 24' cable. But either way, electrician is coming next Wed. to run the power! I'm thinking if the HPWC isn't here yet I'll just have them put in a 50amp for now and I'll switch it out to a 60amp later myself.

Why not have the electrician install the 60 amp breaker? Costs the same. Be sure they run the right gauge wire (4 AWG or lower preferred) if you ever plan to use a 60 amp breaker.

Reactions: Joey_82
Agreed. If you bought the HPWC to get the max 48 amps out of it, you will need the 6O amp breaker. If your running a new line with 6 AWG or lower, and buying the HPWC, why not use $10 60 amp breaker over the $20 50 amp breaker. You can also alway dial down the actual charging amps from the car or app. I do this for example - “40/48” setting is how I usually run.

Agreed - that's a good thought too. Set the HPWC to max for the car (48A for LR & 60A circuit) and then adjust it in the car if you want or need to dial it down for whatever reason.

The wiring is the biggest thing though. Better to future proof that more than anything else, especially if its being run in a wall or through a complicated space. I installed a 32A EVSE for a BEV 3 years ago at home, but instead of using 8 gauge I went with 6 (relatively short run) thinking I would switch to a Tesla in the future.

Why not have the electrician install the 60 amp breaker? Costs the same. Be sure they run the right gauge wire (4 AWG or lower preferred) if you ever plan to use a 60 amp breaker.

I am asking them to run the correct wiring for a 60amp breaker. If I have them put in a 50amp breaker for now, I can have them throw in the NEMA 15-40 outlet so I can charge my car still when it gets here.

Just depends on if I ever hear back on the HPWC or maybe I'll just decide to cancel that order if I'm happy with charging via the NEMA 15-40.

I am asking them to run the correct wiring for a 60amp breaker. If I have them put in a 50amp breaker for now, I can have them throw in the NEMA 15-40 outlet so I can charge my car still when it gets here.

Just depends on if I ever hear back on the HPWC or maybe I'll just decide to cancel that order if I'm happy with charging via the NEMA 15-40.

Ah, got it! The NEMA 14-50 will work fine, charging time wise (32 amps)! The only down side is not having the provided "mobile" charger in the car at all times, and putting it under full load - You will notice the mobile charger cable and small attached computer control box will get fairly warm to the touch - Mine did and it was only on a 30 amp NEMA 10-30 outlet. Like you, I wired in the plug first, then added the HPWC. The HPWC is a rugged device. When I plug it's heavy duty cable in to the M3, you can hear a heavy duty relay flip "on" to charging position. No such action on the provided "mobile" connector. I'm glad I invested $500 for the HPWC :D - No buyer's remorse. :oops:

EDIT: BTW, my HPWC arrived about eight days after I ordered it - same as my M3!

Certain configurations seem to be taking longer. Since Tesla emptied their whole inventory they need to produce the cars. So things like Red paint or white seats haven’t been produced in awhile.

They’ll get to it eventually. If you research past cars on ev-cpo, you’ll see that they work in batches. The most recent LR AWD was white on black.

To make the most profit, just telling that will result in you getting the thinnest wire that meets code. Better to specify 4 or 3 AWG, or ask him what code is and then drop it one or two gauges. MTFWTAW