Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE streaming service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just purchased a new 2018 MS 100D on 12/21/18. My understanding is that I have pre-paid LTE streaming service for 1 year after purchase, then I must pay an annual subscription fee to continue after that. Does anyone know the service provider Tesla uses for the LTE streaming? Do you have a choice of provider after the initial year? What is the typical annual cost? Is there a phone number attached to the streaming service, as in cellphone service?

I picked mine up three days before you did. ;)

I believe the service provider is AT&T, and I'd be surprised if they offered a choice. The expected charge for "premium LTE" is $100/year.

I'm thinking of using my phone as a WiFi hotspot while I'm mobile and streaming that way. Or just streaming audio to the phone and serve it up on Bluetooth. Either way, there are options other than ponying up for the extra bandwidth.

Mojo

It is AT&T in the US, and on MCU1 you can replace the SIM with any other, the MCU itself is not locked down. I don't know if MCU2 has a removable SIM still, or if it's an E-sim which would make swapping difficult. I also don't know if swapping would matter because from the way they describe the post-1-year service, Tesla doesn't disable the data if you don't pay $100/year - they just change the car's software so it uses less data. This is probably done on the MCU rather than with AT&T so any SIM would probably lack the additional data features.