Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucky Bags

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lucky bags are a thing in Japan every New Years holiday. I learned about them in 1973 from my last girlfriend (now my wife). Department stores and even some local shops would get a big bag and stuff it with several nice things and sell it at a set price. The value of the items inside were always worth several times what you paid, and sometimes a few bags would have surprise items that would make them worth 10X what you paid. Thus, Lucky Bags. The items were often somewhat mis-matched, perhaps a bit out-of-season, but always well worth the price. My girlfriend loved it, and would take her to several shops on January 2nd and 3rd, and she would get her Lucky Bags. The thing is, there were only a limited number available ... she had to make a split-second decision, or wait a year.

We placed an order on a Model Y Performance in August, and ETD is February~March 2023. A lot like a Lucky Bag!

By the way, next week would be my 50th Lucky Bag foray with my sweetheart. But times have changed, It used to be a bag with a staple at the handle, and you could peek, but not touch the insides. Well, some folks did peek, and did other sneaky things, so the stores would have to staple and tape the bags shut. Someone always wants to game the system! Then, the stores began to game the system, too. They would put lower-quality things inside, and offer a LOT more bags! Then, they would take a picture of the items inside, and you could choose colors and sizes. Much more fair, but in my humble opinion, not as much fun. My wife still wants to go New Year's shopping, but will only get Lucky Bags from places that hold to the traditions of surprise and worth, instead of "abundant fairness for a lot of folks" and "bang-for-your buck (well, Yen)."

I've been here only a few weeks, but Yikes! Happy New Year, folks! :)

Haha! After starting this thread, 50th Anniversary Lucky Bags a bust so far. Only one place open January 1st, and (according to wife) No Fun. Today, January 2nd, had plans to go to another department store, but a long FaceTime call with US family threw us off early morning groove. My sweetheart was a bit down (I’m doomed) so dragged her out to a big mall … her eyes are brightening up! Seems some places still have Lucky Bags and New Year SALEs (hope returns).

(a few minutes later…)

Tradition Saved! Sitting outside the changing room, and the sales lady is good! Not in hard-sell, but in knowledge of fashion, available products, and reading my wife’s preferences. Nice bag of clothes, lighter wallet, and smiling wife.

Happy New Year! 2023 off to a good start 😀

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jjrandorin