Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Ludicrous speed" reference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
Reading through the latest issue of "ars Technica Rocket Report" I came across the following article.

Many here have probably already heard about what the article is about but I just found the reference to "ludicrous speed" amusing. No idea if they meant to say that as an homage to SpaceX or just thought it sounded good. :)

Military told to move from expendable to reusable rockets.
The fiscal year 2019 military budget bill calls for the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle program of the Department of Defense, commonly known as the EELV program, to be named the "National Security Space Launch program" as of March 1, 2019. In addition, the report says the US Air Force must consider both expendable and reusable launch vehicles as part of its solicitation for military launch contracts.
Long way in a short while ... Less than a year and a half has passed since SpaceX first flew a used first stage of a Falcon 9 rocket, but already it has come to this. For the government, this is ludicrous speed. Someone in Congress (and/or the military) must really like "flight proven" boosters. And it's not just a win for SpaceX. Blue Origin will be competing for these contracts in a few years too.

Reading through the latest issue of "ars Technica Rocket Report" I came across the following article.

Many here have probably already heard about what the article is about but I just found the reference to "ludicrous speed" amusing. No idea if they meant to say that as an homage to SpaceX or just thought it sounded good. :)

Military told to move from expendable to reusable rockets.
The fiscal year 2019 military budget bill calls for the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle program of the Department of Defense, commonly known as the EELV program, to be named the "National Security Space Launch program" as of March 1, 2019. In addition, the report says the US Air Force must consider both expendable and reusable launch vehicles as part of its solicitation for military launch contracts.
Long way in a short while ... Less than a year and a half has passed since SpaceX first flew a used first stage of a Falcon 9 rocket, but already it has come to this. For the government, this is ludicrous speed. Someone in Congress (and/or the military) must really like "flight proven" boosters. And it's not just a win for SpaceX. Blue Origin will be competing for these contracts in a few years too.
It is Ars: totally a reference to Tesla. :)

Reactions: Grendal