Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luxury car makers are so screwed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that is the unbiased way to go about things.

- - - Updated - - -

As long as most countries electricity is not produced the Norwegian way (i.e. almost 100% hydro - or other alternative method), EVs are only part of the solution.
And the problem is not ICE cars, but affordable yet sustainable personal transportation. EVs might be driven sustainably already, but most of them are far from affordable for the average Joe - even factoring in lifetime savings in fuel - especially in Europe where electricity is expensive very much like fossil fuel is.
It's well established that EV cars are cleaner than ICE even when powered by coal.
However, if you really want to save the environment, stop eating meat. http://WWW.cowspiracy.com

I think people are forgetting that the MS is a 5000 pound car.

My Leaf easily pushes 5 miles per kwh in the summer in mostly 40-50 mph driving, and pushes 4 kwh per mile going 65-70 mph depending on wind conditions.

The BMW i3 is even more efficient than the Leaf. EVs I imagine can eek out a little bit more on this department with further improvement.

My per-mile cost in my Leaf is 2 cents per mile. Even my smart car came in at 6-8 cents per mile pushing 42 mpg combined and high 40s city.

The Leaf also costs next to nothing in maintenance, so expect that $600 annual service maintenance cost, and high tire cost, to lessen substantially on non-performance M3s.

As long as most countries electricity is not produced the Norwegian way (i.e. almost 100% hydro - or other alternative method), EVs are only part of the solution.
And the problem is not ICE cars, but affordable yet sustainable personal transportation. EVs might be driven sustainably already, but most of them are far from affordable for the average Joe - even factoring in lifetime savings in fuel - especially in Europe where electricity is expensive very much like fossil fuel is.

Yea, but non-renewable energy is on a self-destruct course no matter what. Especially here in the US where we have ridiculous amounts of space, lots of reliable wind, and viable solar panel use in nearly the entire country. Before subsidies, solar projects in many areas of the US are bidding below the cheapest fossil fuels. Some Texas wind farms sell their energy for free to bidders because it can outstrip demand, and we've barely scratched the surface.

EV on coal is still cleaner than most ICEs, and coal is on a slow but steady death march.

Going green means green for your wallet nowadays. Thanks technology!

P.S.: Mass market consumers care less about interiors than high-end consumers, and you can be sure that Tesla will have premium interior packages brought over from the MS. I drive electric every day in a Leaf, and even at the 80 mile range limitation I know that I will never buy an iCE again if I can help it.

Last edited:
I love my BMW i3. I get 4.8m/kWh in mixed driving. And it feels like a BMW to drive and sit in. Love it! Hopefully gen2 improves the range x2. But the Tesla as a brand is up there with BMW for street creed at least here in the US. And now after DieselGate hopefully people and car companies make EVs a priority.

The cost of batteries goes down every year.

The cost of internal combustion engines goes up every year due to increasingly stricter emissions controls.

The curves cross over at some point. It is inevitable.

One thing I can guarantee: Tesla will sell every Model 3 they can build. Doesn't matter if they make 100,000 or 500,000 a year.