Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lying to the car about Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know how dumb I'm going to sound, but I wanted to ask a question that I've never seen covered in here.
I charge my car at home on a L2 charging station. There's a supercharger by my house. Is there any advantage to lying to the car and saying I'm heading to the Supercharger so that the battery gets properly preconditioned? Or is that actually doing harm? Or does it make no difference at all?
As you all know, when you select a SC on navigation the preconditioning notification appears.
I have a 10 minute commute in a very cold winter. I'm curious if that helps my car be better prepared to charge or not.
If anyone has a theory or direct answer kindly let me know.
And feel free to make fun of me as needed:confused:
Perfectly safe, but not sure how much you’ll benefit with L2. I do it all the time to warm up the battery as there is a 50kW DC charger close to me, but the closest supercharger is a 30 minute drive. The does help as I get closer to the 50kW rate much quicker than if I had driven there with a cold battery.

That said, not sure how much a US spec’d car would benefit as mine has CCS but I don’t believe there are many options for US drivers unless they start using adaptors for third party DC chargers.

Of course it consumes more energy that heat has to come from somewhere.

This is widespread proof of the failure of the education system. I say widespread because people who can't grasp the simple concept that you can't get something for nothing are really common.

I expected to be made fun of, but now you're questioning this is proof of the failure of the education system? Do you want to compare resumes? I don't think you want that battle, though it would be a fun one!
Look pal, I've had this car for 5 months and I'm new to supercharging. First time I've ever clicked on an SC as my destination so I didn't even know wtf the car was doing when it flashed it's notification at me, and thus I wasn't looking at power consumption.
You know what I am getting for nothing? Free supercharging. That sounds like I'm getting something for nothing.