Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR AWD Totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got in an accident a few weeks ago and I ended up getting a quote for ~$20k repairs solely based on visual damage. At some point before the repair, they said that they're going to take the doors off, lift it, run diagnostics, and give it a full inspection. What should I expect from that? Structural damage? It won't drive, they said the battery died from 70%-0 in two weeks so I suspect some electrical damage as well since I got notifications of faults when the accident happened. Possible battery housing damage just from the rocker panels bending in?

Attachments

• 20210608_164354-min.jpg
    20210608_164354-min.jpg
    741.8 KB · Views: 102
Wow..from that one picture, I hope everyone got out of there relatively ok. That looks like a large amount of damage to me, I have seen tesla model 3s here totaled for less.
So yeah all walked away thankfully. I broke my arm (I think it's related to the drivers seat getting locked into the furthest rear position by easy entry the day prior) but other than that all is well thank god. Truly a testament to the sturdiness of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
So yeah all walked away thankfully. I broke my arm (I think it's related to the drivers seat getting locked into the furthest rear position by easy entry the day prior) but other than that all is well thank god. Truly a testament to the sturdiness of the car.
Thats good to hear! Well, not about your broken arm, but with the way the car looks, that doesnt sound "that" bad, relatively speaking.

Thats good to hear! Well, not about your broken arm, but with the way the car looks, that doesnt sound "that" bad, relatively speaking.
Hahaha I agree trust me; hurts but better than most alternatives... Had I been in my trusty 2012 Sentra from yesteryear I might not have faired so well. Even if they change the estimate to totaled I'm not super sure I can wait on a new model 3/y so might have to go back ICE :( The ridgeline is a nice truck though

Hahaha I agree trust me; hurts but better than most alternatives... Had I been in my trusty 2012 Sentra from yesteryear I might not have faired so well. Even if they change the estimate to totaled I'm not super sure I can wait on a new model 3/y so might have to go back ICE :( The ridgeline is a nice truck though
Maybe you can get an inventory one.

Pray they total it.

Sounds to me like they are lowballing the repair cost to sucker in the insurance company to start paying them to repair it. Once they collect and burn through the $20K, they'll hit the insurance company with "hidden damage" and then try to trap the insurance company to keep going because they have so much invested in it.

If you do get it back, it will take months, never be the same, and you'll take a huge hit on resale. It's a crappy game the body shops play, but they are getting rich doing it.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Pray they total it.

Sounds to me like they are lowballing the repair cost to sucker in the insurance company to start paying them to repair it. Once they collect and burn through the $20K, they'll hit the insurance company with "hidden damage" and then try to trap the insurance company to keep going because they have so much invested in it.

If you do get it back, it will take months, never be the same, and you'll take a huge hit on resale. It's a crappy game the body shops play, but they are getting rich doing it.
God I hope that's the case. They estimated 31 days from the quote for just the visual damage, but I'm sure it's vastly more with the actual damage that hasn't been inspected yet. I could upload the actual quote here if there's interest, just gotta redact some things so not to doxx myself

That'll end up being way more than $20k. I've seen $20k in damages from what looked like the car only needing a front bumper cover. That's one thing that worries me about my Model 3. Seems like if a gnat hits it, it does $20k in damages.

Mike