Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 M3 LR Accident Damage: Is she totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in an accident where a Subaru ran a red light. I was turning left and was t-boned. My airbags did not deploy. Luckily both myself and the other driver have been unscathed, mostly, from the accident. I’m working with insurance to get the car to a repair shop, which is Tesla repair certified. I am a little concerned that it might be totaled. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this damage type and what the outcome was.

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpeg
    IMG_1182.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 71375414048__E7EA44F6-5C6D-424E-BDFC-D41885A9F67D.jpeg
    71375414048__E7EA44F6-5C6D-424E-BDFC-D41885A9F67D.jpeg
    840 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1181.jpeg
    IMG_1181.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: Kairide

What is the total loss threshold in California?​

California’s total loss threshold is based on the state’s total loss formula, which states that a car is totaled if the cost of repairs (plus the vehicle’s salvage value) are greater than or equal to the actual cash value (ACV) of your vehicle.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. This is my first accident and my first brand new car. I have been trying to prepare if my car is a total loss my next steps. I know the pictures I had were not great in detail they were taken the day of. The article regarding ACV was super helpful! I am waiting to hear back from the repair shop on the condition of the car. They said about a week before they can give a determination to my insurance company for cost. I’ll post an update when available.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. This is my first accident and my first brand new car. I have been trying to prepare if my car is a total loss my next steps. I know the pictures I had were not great in detail they were taken the day of. The article regarding ACV was super helpful! I am waiting to hear back from the repair shop on the condition of the car. They said about a week before they can give a determination to my insurance company for cost. I’ll post an update when available.
My take on your accident, is that you should really hope that it’s totaled. I would not want my insurance company repairing that catastrophe. I can tell you right now, if they decide to ‘fix’ your car, it will never be the same in terms of how it handles, and you’ll likely notice intricacies of how it’s not the same in terms of possible squeaks, rattles, driving behavior, ect.

The reality is, sometimes it’s better to walk away from a car with that level of severity of damage, and because you generally won’t even look at it the same anymore. Not to mention, now that you have a reportable D.O.T accident on your driving record, it’s going to take a severe hit on value when you decide to trade/sell. If it was me, I’d contact my insurance carrier, speak to a claims supervisor, and request that you do not want the car repaired, and just to be paid out. I’m not saying your carrier will grant you your request, but they’ll take into consideration. It’s all subjective based on who your insurance agent is.