Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3: Touch Screen (protection??)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for the experts- Is the screen on the model 3 glass or plastic? I only ask since I bought every product on the tesla site, apparel etc etc. and see many selling screen protectors and couldn't understand why? You're touching it with your soft fingers? why do you need it? or do you?

**backstory, just found out my apple laptop screen is a plastic of sorts (or at least the top layer is)

It is glass. While I don't use one that are not to keep your soft fingers from scratching. They can help protect when things like rings, bracelets or other objects hit the screen. Also many offer a matte finish that is less reflective (one reason glass is not used on a lot of laptops and TV's) and can also hide finger prints.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and -DA3
I’ve had the anti-fingerprint screen protector from Abstract Ocean installed for well over a year now. It does appear to help keep the fingerprints at bay and I can’t even tell it’s there. I also got the AO screen cleaner and use that every 2 weeks or so. It does an awesome job and cleans everything off of the screen in about 10 seconds.

• Informative
Reactions: Ravenous21
Back when I had a Canon AE-1 program 35mm camera and a very nice zoom lense, I remember installing a glass filter on the lense so that if the glass got scratched, I just had to replace the filter and not have the glass on the lense repaired. The glass protector, such as the one from AO, serves the same purpose. It is much easier and less expensive to replace the glass protector than to repair or replace the glass on the screen. I have the glass protector from AO and think it is a great product.

Has anyone had to replace the screen? Price?

I haven't used a screen protector or case on my phone since 2012. I don't think I'm going to start again with my Model 3.
About a year or two ago there was a thread about a cracked screen caused by a cellphone hitting it. Ever since then, I’ve had a tempered glass screen protector. Fits great and I think it cost all of $20. I figure I’d rather have that break or crack rather than the actual screen which I’m sure is more than $20 to replace. I don’t have a screen protector on my cellphone either but have a very protective Otterbox case instead.