Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Windscreen Wipers missing Driver side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

As a newbie to Tesla (Collected on 30th Dec 2022), I'm just wondering if the issue I'm facing is fairly normal for Tesla drivers?

Essentially, the drivers side wiper misses quite a big, maybe 6-7 inches, chunk of the bottom right of the windscreen. Yesterday, we encountered this quite badly with the low winter sun and wet roads. Hopefully you can see in the images what I'm referring to.

Would this be a service request, or is this normal for a Tesla Model 3's wipers?

Thanks,
Ash

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1255.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1255.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 241
  • thumbnail_IMG_1256.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1256.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 138
Hi all,

As a newbie to Tesla (Collected on 30th Dec 2022), I'm just wondering if the issue I'm facing is fairly normal for Tesla drivers?

Essentially, the drivers side wiper misses quite a big, maybe 6-7 inches, chunk of the bottom right of the windscreen. Yesterday, we encountered this quite badly with the low winter sun and wet roads. Hopefully you can see in the images what I'm referring to.

Would this be a service request, or is this normal for a Tesla Model 3's wipers?

Thanks,
Ash
I had the same issue and thought about it. But then I used couple more presses on the indicator stalk it cleared. I think there is a bit of ‘no wipe zone’ - driver side bottom right compared to the passenger side. But it clears once you do couple of presses.

I had the same issue and thought about it. But then I used couple more presses on the indicator stalk it cleared. I think there is a bit of ‘no wipe zone’ - driver side bottom right compared to the passenger side. But it clears once you do couple of presses.

Oh believe me, I press it continuously until it clears. But of course, that lasts 5 mins in these conditions. Out of washer fluid also now, after the trip out yesterday. I found also that it would clear after squirting the screen a few times too, only for the auto-wipe it does afterwards to smear muck all over that spot again.

I did go to raise a service request yesterday afternoon, and it came back with a quote of £51.90. Having never used Tesla Servicing before, wasn't sure if that's a 'hold fee' until they determine it's a warranty issue, or not. So I haven't proceeded, as I didn't understand why I should pay £51.90 for something that's happened since I collected the car. Do you know if that is a hold fee, or whether you do actually get charged the amounts quoted?

I presume you have checked and thoroughly cleaned the wiper blade?

Tesla won't have done.

This is something that had me nervous to do... I haven't, but happy to do so. Does the car need to be in Wiper Service Mode?

Reading the manual online, I see it needs to be in that mode for replacements, but not for cleaning. Is that actually correct, or am I missing something there?

Appreciate your guidance, and apologies for the noobiness of myself. It's mine and my partner's first ever brand new car, so trying to look after it :D.

I did go to raise a service request yesterday afternoon, and it came back with a quote of £51.90. Having never used Tesla Servicing before, wasn't sure if that's a 'hold fee' until they determine it's a warranty issue, or not. So I haven't proceeded, as I didn't understand why I should pay £51.90 for something that's happened since I collected the car. Do you know if that is a hold fee, or whether you do actually get charged the amounts quoted?
It didn’t bother me too much so didn’t raise a request. Never used their service so can’t answer that but the issue looks like they will do this under warranty - replacing both the blades I guess!

Reactions: MrAshieB
It didn’t bother me too much so didn’t raise a request. Never used their service so can’t answer that but the issue looks like they will do this under warranty - replacing both the blades I guess!

Appreciate your input, thank you :). Will see what they come back with, I guess. But as suggested above, I suppose I should check that the wiper blade is actually clean first lol

What's the weather like there? Most common reason for wipers seeming to miss whole sections of the glass in sub zero weather is just that they are frozen solid and lost flexibility to conform to the glass. Check they aren't iced up rigid and give them a good clean.

What's the weather like there? Most common reason for wipers seeming to miss whole sections of the glass in sub zero weather is just that they are frozen solid and lost flexibility to conform to the glass. Check they aren't iced up rigid and give them a good clean.

It was about 2-3 degrees yesterday, so it's possible. Although we had been driving for about an hour at that point, and it continued to do it through the day whilst temps were around 5-6 degrees, so who knows?

Will see what it's like on my next outing now that I've cleaned them.

Did that fix the problem?

If it didn't worth taking a photo of the actual wiper blade as mine was delivered with a faulty wiper blade

I'm not sure as the screen is clear at the moment (Many presses of the stalk to wash & wipe when I arrived home). Will find out on the next journey out, whenever that is :).

That's interesting to know though - thanks! Will see about getting a photo next time I'm at the car, but from what I remember when I just went out to clean it, it was looking okay?

Mine does miss the bottom right corner pretty often, using the sprayer at low speeds clears it, but if you going over 50 alteast it will not clear until you drench the windscreen because it just doesnt get there. Did that from the first day driving back from collection, just seems to be when the gritters are droping the salt on the roads, normal filth gets wiped away

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Mine does miss the bottom right corner pretty often, using the sprayer at low speeds clears it, but if you going over 50 alteast it will not clear until you drench the windscreen because it just doesnt get there. Did that from the first day driving back from collection, just seems to be when the gritters are droping the salt on the roads, normal filth gets wiped away

Perhaps that's the issue I'm facing too... I guess we put it down to design flaw, instead of fault? :D

Its possibly not helped by the wash fluid only being dispensed on the passenger side? By the time the blades have reached the drivers side its only using residual water to clean the drivers side of the screen. I don't know if that functionality has changed for more recent iterations - I think the wash mechanism has possibly been changed?

Hi all,

Thanks,
Ash
It looks like the wiper arm is pressing to hard on the blade and lifting up the blade ends off the screen in that corner when wiping.

I had this happen when i changed my blades for the first time to a Bosch blade. They were the same length but looked different in design (Slightly thicker). the blade in that corner lifted off the screen and i was wondered why. After looking and searching on the web i found the problem to be the Arm pressing to hard on the blade.

example below:

wiper-arm-pressure-uniwiper.png

Reactions: MrAshieB