Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P range at 90%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t know if anyone experienced the same.
Since 2019.36.4 when I charge my M3P to 90% I get 270 miles on the range indicator. Before that update I used to see 277miles
Don’t know if anyone experienced the same. And if so, has tesla revised their target?...

There was a bug in one of the firmwares i belive (2019.32.2.1). Huge post about it somewhere and other firmwares have done the same.

I had the same issue with my SR+, it charged to 237mile range at 100% before 32.2.1, updated to that version, now its only 227 to 229 even after all the other updates after this. Lost 5% between 17th Sept to 3rd Oct.

Few people have mentioned you need to do a (almost) full drain to less than 10% SOC then charge slowly to 100% 3 times in a row? I have not done this myself so can not confirm if it helps.

Ps i use % in my display so i'm not worried about it :)

I have noticed a similar reduction on my P3D, but i think its just a change to algorithm used to calculate the remaining miles, which is not accurate anyway - you never get the rated miles that it says unless you have ideal weather conditions, low heater settings etc..

Which is why i have my car set to show percentage battery remaining rather than miles, just makes much more sense!

After having it set to % for a while you get to know how many % certain journeys take which makes it much easier to plan when to charge etc..

I also see this. Currently 265 showing on the app at 90%. I usually charge between 50 and 80% and don't use the car a great deal. So charging maybe 2 or 3 times a week, nearly always at home. I suspect it may be a BMS calibration issue so I'm going to try depleting to a low level and then a full 100% charge to see what happens. I've seen several posts to suggest this is almost certainly a calibration issue and not battery degradation. I've also seen quite a few posts suggesting that 90% is the current recommended charge level although I'm not sure I should be doing that as I can go 3 or 4 days before I use the car.

Apparently one big issue with a poorly calibrated BMS is that the car can shut down prematurely if you are getting low on charge i.e. it gets confused at the low end. I can't vouch for this although I have seen posts where people's cars have shut down with several miles/percent charge left. With this in mind I'm going the give the recalibration sequence a whirl.

This video is also worth a watch - ignore Kim trying to flog merch at the start!

Don’t know if anyone experienced the same.
Since 2019.36.4 when I charge my M3P to 90% I get 270 miles on the range indicator. Before that update I used to see 277miles
Don’t know if anyone experienced the same. And if so, has tesla revised their target?...
Luky you. I did a teslafi calibration and it said I had 235miles. Total.
The charge graph as I drive never stays with the line and I just get a lot less. Blame heater and headlights I guess. 7 miles difference I wouldn't worry about not at 270