Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M1tch

2021 M3P with EAP
Nov 16, 2021
Gloucester, England
Long story short.

My car was brand new, it’s mine, not a lease or anything. It’s a long term investment and looked after. My battery failed after just over a year, it was replaced promptly by tesla however it wouldn’t charge to 100%, and the range dropped after every charge until it was at around 220 miles. I complained, they replaced it again. I am now on my second battery at 26,000 miles and at 90% it’s showing 245 Mile range.

I do a single long distance trip each week so the range really does matter to me but I think this is another second hand (it is a refurb) sub-standard battery which I’m not putting up with. I was at 285-291 mile range at 90% on my original battery.

So, the question, what is your range at 90% on your M3P and what is your mileage? I’m deploying overseas in a few weeks for the rest of the year and want to sort this before I go.

I haven’t yet done the whole charge to 100% and leave it, below 10% and leave it nonsense. This just doesn’t feel right already….

26472 miles
245 mile range
90%

4 year old P3D-
275 miles @ 100%, 248 miles @90%

According to Teslafi that's about 10 miles less than the fleet average but I'll admit that the car has probably never gone below 20% more than 5 times since new.

One observation is that the calendar age seems to have more of an effect than miles driven. Perhaps your replacement has sat on the shelf for while?

Last edited:
Reactions: M1tch
Long story short.

My car was brand new, it’s mine, not a lease or anything. It’s a long term investment and looked after. My battery failed after just over a year, it was replaced promptly by tesla however it wouldn’t charge to 100%, and the range dropped after every charge until it was at around 220 miles. I complained, they replaced it again. I am now on my second battery at 26,000 miles and at 90% it’s showing 245 Mile range.

I do a single long distance trip each week so the range really does matter to me but I think this is another second hand (it is a refurb) sub-standard battery which I’m not putting up with. I was at 285-291 mile range at 90% on my original battery.

So, the question, what is your range at 90% on your M3P and what is your mileage? I’m deploying overseas in a few weeks for the rest of the year and want to sort this before I go.

I haven’t yet done the whole charge to 100% and leave it, below 10% and leave it nonsense. This just doesn’t feel right already….

26472 miles
245 mile range
90%
Put it into Teslafi and see what it benchmarks against

Reactions: MrBadger
The M3P has had various battery brands and sizes over the years. for this exercise to make any sense the Op and everyone one else needs to provide original purchase date and ideally the original EPA range reported by the car from new.
I for instance had a 2019 LR which was I think reporting 309 miles or range when new and was down to about 280 at 100% when I sold it at nearly 3 years and 26k miles. which is 9% degradation.
The car was only supercharged half a dozen times a year and almost always remained in the 20-80 range so pretty well looked after .
Given how well it was treated that did not seem amazing retention but OK. To be fair it dropped to below 300 pretty quickly so I think the drop had significantly leveled off after the first year as you would expect.
I appreciate the op asked for M3P but while the actual range is different the degradation should be similar so long as the extra performance has not been accessed excessively.

M3P from September 2019, so about 3 years 10 months old with 59,788 km / 37,151 miles.

Sat in a bar in Brittany right now but 47% showing as 220 km, which equates to 268 miles at 90%.
Actually its 261.7miles
but even that is a 100% range of nearly 291.
I thought the 2019 M3P had a new EPA range of just under 300 miles which would give you a degradation of about 3 percent.
I am not sure extrapolating from under 50% is accurate since this seems too good to be true.

Long story short.

26472 miles
245 mile range
90%
What year is your car.
The car displays the US EPA range not the higher WLTP range from the website.
the current US model of M3P has 315 miles of EPA range.
your car at 1 year old reporting up to 291 miles means at 100% it would have been 323 miles.
I was not aware the M3P ever had that much EPA range?

if your car was a 2019 then 245 miles would be about 9% degradation ( similar to my LR) if its a later car with the heat pump and 82kwh battery then its more like 14% which is not ideal. It is possible you had an 82kwh battery and Tesla replaced it with a smaller 75-78kwh one. In which case the good news is your degradation is not too bad. The bad news is they may have robbed you to the tune of 5kwh.

You may indeed have a refurbished battery, but your mileage estimate may also be affected by how you drive and charge. My 2018 Model 3 LR showed decreasing range over the first few months of ownership. Tesla service checked the battery and suggested that I’m not letting the battery fall below 20%, and don’t charge above 80%. They told me to run the battery down to 10%, let it sit there a few hours then charge to at least 95% and let it sit there for a few hours. They told me to repeat this proces several times. They also encouraged me to charge to 100% every now and then. It worked. The range increased back to the range I expected within several charging cycles.

They explained that the battery management system algorithm estimates range based on charging and driving usage. Giving the system a wide range of driving variations provides a more accurate estimate. My 2023 Model Y has similar range issues, but after 5,000 miles of driving the estimates are more accurate. I typically don’t charge or plug in until the range is below 20%, often under 15. I charge to 90% or higher every other charge. Half of my Model Y charges are on Superchargers to at least 80%.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Bought Mar'23 New
Currently 3,865klm on clock
Battery currently shows 82% / 409klm
I usually charge to 90%

So 256miles at 82% or 312miles at 100%

Usually shows me 499klm at 100%

On my Tessie App it shows Battery degradation of 0%

My commute is short

Actually its 261.7miles
but even that is a 100% range of nearly 291.
I thought the 2019 M3P had a new EPA range of just under 300 miles which would give you a degradation of about 3 percent.
I am not sure extrapolating from under 50% is accurate since this seems too good to be true.
Ha! Thanks for checking. I was trying to mind a toddler and seemingly failed to multitask.

Maybe a reason for using something like TeslaFi? ... being able to view, retrospectively, Battery Health (range, including filtering for when charged to 100% and so on) over time. A sudden, unexpected of course, replacement of battery that then performed differently would clearly show up on the graph and would maybe? provide strong evidence that the replacement was not in any way "similar" to the original. Whether that would trump whatever the small-print says on battery replacement under warranty I don't know

I'm guess this is your car iteration

I think you can check by logging into your account and then using the link, looking for $MT3xx

It seems they switched to the smaller battery at the end of that year in Europe and I wonder if that’s what they’ve now given you, the ;ater albeit slightly smaller battery. The BT42 battery is pretty unusual on China built cars in comparison to other batteries.

IMG_0170.jpeg