Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P subwoofer replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, this is my first post so please bear with me and thank you for your time.

I just got a 2023 M3P and it’s great but I’d love to change the subwoofer. I’m not looking to change the amp as I feel the change in sound doesn’t need to be too drastic for my needs.

I’m looking at the Infinity REF-FLEX8D 8" Dual 2-ohm Subwoofer (150 watts rms and 600 max) which is somewhat alarming since it’s 2 ohms and not 4 like the OEM one and I’m not sure how the OEM amp will react.

I could also buy the alpine speaker promoted by hepaking that’s 4ohms but it uses a ferrite magnet.

Is anyone aware of an 8-inch sub that is 4-ohm dual voice coils that make use of a neodymium magnet?

Could someone with more expertise let me know if it’s safe to use the 2-ohm sub as a replacement for the OEM one, thanks.

I did, and it sounds quite good, tbh. It’s still just an 8” sub but it works quite well in the factory enclosure. I do still want some more deep bass, down under 40hz, but I think I can get enough with some additional power.

Modeling them in WinISD makes it quite obvious why the alpine sounds better too. I’ll have to post a thread about it when I get some time. @RWAudio was kind enough to measure the T/S parameters of the factory subwoofer for me and I was able to plot the expected frequency response graphs using his enclosure data. The results were surprising. I’ll try to put together a post with some data as soon as I get a chance.