Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P wins SCCA Autocross National Championship

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah one difference is I run 18" wheels on my P3D (18x9.5, 265-35-18 tires). So maybe a 265-35-19 fits on a 19x8.5 but a 265-35-18 won't fit on a 18x8.5?

265 is too wide for any 8.5" ..at least to be effective
I have 255 AO52 on my 20" and they are pretty wide. 265 would not be good

personally like 285 on 9.5" if you are not running Street class.(Staggered 255/285 on a RWD S is best)
...so want a 3 to auto X... you bastards ; P

personally like 285 on 9.5" if you are not running Street class.(Staggered 255/285 on a RWD S is best)

I went with custom wheels (because pretty colors). Was told that 275 was the absolute max they could even think of putting on a model 3 (with stock suspension) and that even that was pretty sure to rub. So 265 it was!

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
It was effective enough to win at the SCCA Nationals :p
It's common to run tires that are wider than manufacturer recommendations in Street class. For optimum performance on a given tire I've heard you actually want to run a little bit wider than the manufacturers recommendations (Lots of Miatas run a 10 inch wheel for a 245 width tire for example).
Many tire shops will not mount a tire on wheel that is not within the manufacturers recommended width range.

It’s on the edge, I’d never do it on the street or a 100mph+ road track, there are trade-offs in responsiveness in turnin, but there are people running 265 on 8.5”.

<edit> The “road track” part is why I decided to stay at 255, my intention is dual purpose. If they were AX only I’d think hard about 265.

Last edited:
It was effective enough to win at the SCCA Nationals :p
It's common to run tires that are wider than manufacturer recommendations in Street class. For optimum performance on a given tire I've heard you actually want to run a little bit wider than the manufacturers recommendations (Lots of Miatas run a 10 inch wheel for a 245 width tire for example).
Many tire shops will not mount a tire on wheel that is not within the manufacturers recommended width range.
10" for a 245? that is crazy stretched, going the other direction

& crap. I guess I should look into 265 on my 8.5" BC Forged set. but the 255 AO52s rub already in reverse, probably need the RE71 since they are skinnier

It’s on the edge, I’d never do it on the street or a 100mph+ road track, there are trade-offs in responsiveness in turnin, but there are people running 265 on 8.5”.

<edit> The “road track” part is why I decided to stay at 255, my intention is dual purpose. If they were AX only I’d think hard about 265.

with that much extra sidewall I wonder how different response is?

with that much extra sidewall I wonder how different response is?

Not different enough that the tradeoff for the extra rubber isn't worth it. Even back when I was autoxing my E36M3 pretty seriously in SCCA (when it was the hot car in BS) people were squeezing 255s on 7.5" wheels. Happens all the time in the stock/Street classes and has been proven over the years.

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Not different enough that the tradeoff for the extra rubber isn't worth it. Even back when I was autoxing my E36M3 pretty seriously in SCCA (when it was the hot car in BS) people were squeezing 255s on 7.5" wheels. Happens all the time in the stock/Street classes and has been proven over the years.
cool. next thing to try. I thought I heard that you get to a point that handling suffers a bit but if it is still better it's worth trying.
The problem with the S trying to get 265 on the fronts is that I think the tires rub the wheel wells a bit much. maybe the 19" would be better but I have square 8.5"X 20" to be stock F street and the 255 are tight.