Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded my M3P for an RS3 - My thoughts on both cars for what it's worth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
after several VWs and Audis with oil leak/seepage and oil burning were enough for me to stay away from any ICE cars.

I've had the opposite experience. I've owned several Audis (and still own one today) and haven't had a single problem with oil leaks and/or burning. In fact, my cars have been bulletproof. And that's saying a lot since mine have been fairly highly modified.

Your other posts about needing to drive a couple of miles before the oil circulates through the vital engine parts and turbocharger is pure nonsense. I wasn't going to respond when you first posted that nonsense a few months ago, but you keep repeating it like it's some kind of fact when it's not. Today's oil is very thin and the low viscosity means that it's flowing easily in mere seconds, even in cold temps. Because my car is modified, I monitor both oil temps and coolant temps in my Audi, as well as oil pressure, so I know exactly when I can drive the car hard without any worries. Also, it does zero damage to idle an ICE. It's not the most friendly thing to do to the environment because of emissions, but it does no damage whatsoever to the engine.

Attachments

• A5D.jpg
    A5D.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: pikeman
I've had the opposite experience. I've owned several Audis (and still own one today) and haven't had a single problem with oil leaks and/or burning. In fact, my cars have been bulletproof. And that's saying a lot since mine have been fairly highly modified.

Your other posts about needing to drive a couple of miles before the oil circulates through the vital engine parts and turbocharger is pure nonsense. I wasn't going to respond when you first posted that nonsense a few months ago, but you keep repeating it like it's some kind of fact when it's not. Today's oil is very thin and the low viscosity means that it's flowing easily in mere seconds, even in cold temps. Because my car is modified, I monitor both oil temps and coolant temps in my Audi, as well as oil pressure, so I know exactly when I can drive the car hard without any worries. Also, it does zero damage to idle an ICE. It's not the most friendly thing to do to the environment because of emissions, but it does no damage whatsoever to the engine.
highly not true. Even VW/Audi dealers/mechanics said seepage is normal for their cars, which is far too common among the German cars.
Also, you don't know about the performance side of the "car" that requires the optimal oil temperature for the best performance of the cars, especially turbo charged engines. driving an Audi doesn't make you a "car guy".

Engine oils have different viscosity and operating temperature ratings, and high performance turbocharged cars require higher viscosity and higher grade oil due to the higher operating temperature. Those types of oils are thicker and slow to flow through the system. Sure it will not kill the engine right away, but it will accelerate the wear and tear and even hurt the turbochargers if you start the car and floor it right away without warming up the engine to bring up the oil temperature up to the level. You can simply drive gentle during the first 2-4 miles and your engine oil temperature should be at the optimal operating temperature.
I am not even sure why you are so worked up and unhinged by my posts, but let me explain by pointing out your wrong statements:

Today's oil is very thin and the low viscosity means that it's flowing easily in mere seconds, even in cold temps.
Flowing through the system in seconds doesn't mean that the car is ready for the peak/best performance and reliability

Because my car is modified, I monitor both oil temps and coolant temps in my Audi, as well as oil pressure, so I know exactly when I can drive the car hard without any worries.
I don't think you know when to drive your car hard since you said your car will be "Ready" in seconds you start the engine

it does zero damage to idle an ICE.
I specifically stated in my previous posts that idling longer period of time and frequent idling will harm the internal parts,

• Disagree
Reactions: Chattanooga3
Engine oils have different viscosity and operating temperature ratings, and high performance turbocharged cars require higher viscosity and higher grade oil due to the higher operating temperature. Those types of oils are thicker and slow to flow through the system.

The newer VW/Audi turbocharged engines use a synthetic 0W-20 oil, so it's pretty thin (most likely for improved fuel economy).

I've never had an issue with oil seepage/leakage in the 6 Audis I've owned, but I don't keep them past the warranty period either... 😁

The newer VW/Audi turbocharged engines use a synthetic 0W-20 oil, so it's pretty thin (most likely for improved fuel economy).

I've never had an issue with oil seepage/leakage in the 6 Audis I've owned, but I don't keep them past the warranty period either... 😁
The argument here is not the viscosity. any oil needs to be warmed up to reach the optimal operating temperature for the best performance and reliability.
I call your statement BS on 6 previous of your Audi's having no oil leak/seepage issue. I just called my friend who is a service advisor for an Audi dealership in DC and he told me that it is extremely rare to see the cars with no oil leak/seepage.
Try Google search "Audi Oil Leak" and you will not be able to go through the entire list within a day.

The argument here is not the viscosity. any oil needs to be warmed up to reach the optimal operating temperature for the best performance and reliability.
I call your statement BS on 6 previous of your Audi's having no oil leak/seepage issue. I just called my friend who is a service advisor for an Audi dealership in DC and he told me that it is extremely rare to see the cars with no oil leak/seepage.
Try Google search "Audi Oil Leak" and you will not be able to go through the entire list within a day.

You can go ahead and argue with yourself... I never mentioned anything in my previous post if you should let the engine oil warm up prior to driving an ICE car aggressively or not (newsflash, I do have my cars "warm up" first). However, the engine oil in modern turbocharged engines is pretty thin.

Ah yes, your anecdotal "I called my friend..." completely discounts my reality of actually owning the vehicles. 🤪

Reactions: White Shadow
Thanks for the great writeup and fair comparison. Very few of us will ever go back to an old-fashioned piston slapper so it's interesting to get an occasional glimpse over the fence.

I love our Teslas and don't think I could every go back to a daily ICE vehicle. Although right before I got rid of the BMW and bought our second Tesla I bought a go-cart (Fiat Spider 124) so when I want to shift through some gears and cruise around on weekends I'd have something. And I always seem to have a Jeep laying around.

Wonder what I'd keep if I had to keep just one...YMMV

2021-05-31_21-07-19_233.jpeg

highly not true. Even VW/Audi dealers/mechanics said seepage is normal for their cars, which is far too common among the German cars.
Also, you don't know about the performance side of the "car" that requires the optimal oil temperature for the best performance of the cars, especially turbo charged engines. driving an Audi doesn't make you a "car guy".

Engine oils have different viscosity and operating temperature ratings, and high performance turbocharged cars require higher viscosity and higher grade oil due to the higher operating temperature. Those types of oils are thicker and slow to flow through the system. Sure it will not kill the engine right away, but it will accelerate the wear and tear and even hurt the turbochargers if you start the car and floor it right away without warming up the engine to bring up the oil temperature up to the level. You can simply drive gentle during the first 2-4 miles and your engine oil temperature should be at the optimal operating temperature.
I am not even sure why you are so worked up and unhinged by my posts, but let me explain by pointing out your wrong statements:

Flowing through the system in seconds doesn't mean that the car is ready for the peak/best performance and reliability

I don't think you know when to drive your car hard since you said your car will be "Ready" in seconds you start the engine

I specifically stated in my previous posts that idling longer period of time and frequent idling will harm the internal parts,
Driving an Audi doesn't make me a "car guy". You know what does make me a car guy though? I'll tell you--first, I'm an enthusiast who modifies and races his cars. Secondly, I've been wrenching on cars since I was 15 years old. In fact, I attended school for automotive technology and actually worked as an automotive technicians for many years, working my way up to ASE Master Technician. I've rebuilt engines and transmissions with my own hands. Then I got into automotive engineering and specialized in lubrication systems. So yeah, I'm about as much as a car guy as someone can be. Today, I'm in management at an engineering company.

So tell me more about the high viscosity oil that Audi specs for my car. I'm so curious to hear your vast knowledge on this subject before I make you look like a monkey on that subject.

And BTW, if you read my post, I said that I monitor the engine to know exactly when it's safe to run it hard. Did you not comprehend that? Nowhere did I say that my car is ready to go full throttle the moment I start the engine.

Idling an engine isn't harmful. You can keep spreading that BS around if you want, but all it really takes it common sense to realize just how long engines spend idling, even in normal around town driving.

Anyway, I guess this is what I should expect from you based upon your previous posts.

Audi did have an issue with certain engines (mainly the 2nd gen EA888) for a certain number of model years that were affected by oil consumption (not leaks) due to bad oil wiping rings on the pistons. That has long since been corrected and isn't a big issue anymore. As for leaks, all engines will eventually develop leaks over time, but Audi doesn't have any particular problem that I'm aware of and my own Audis, including my current one, has never had an oil leak at all.