Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Magic Isolation Button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that but in my experience the gap doesn't correlate with nice intervals like that, it's something else. That said, it's changed a number of times over the year so it may in fact be currently time-based.
Understand?!? Actually you don't, since if you did, you wouldn't have written what you wrote. Time-based means speed-sensitive. That means the distance changes based upon speed. A "3" at 25mph is a shorter distance than a "3" at 65mph. The "nice intervals" are time. ½ second increments. What would you propose the intervals are based upon? There's no other possible way that makes sense.

Go out, bring a passenger with a stopwatch app, and have them time the gap as you drive on TACC behind another vehicle, at various follow settings. Try to find a road with telephone pole shadows crossing, so they can hit the stopwatch as the car ahead crosses the shadow, and then when you cross the shadow. Tell us what you find.

In the 2 years I've owned my Model 3, it's always been time-based. It hasn't "changed a number of times over the year". It would cause havoc if the methodology were changing al the time. The only method that has ever made sense for adaptive cruise was a time-based one. Time-based also means it's speed-sensitive. All the mfrs do it.

Go out, bring a passenger with a stopwatch app, and have them time the gap as you drive on TACC behind another vehicle, at various follow settings. Try to find a road with telephone pole shadows crossing, so they can hit the stopwatch as the car ahead crosses the shadow, and then when you cross the shadow. Tell us what you find.

In the 2 years I've owned my Model 3, it's always been time-based. It hasn't "changed a number of times over the year". It would cause havoc if the methodology were changing al the time. The only method that has ever made sense for adaptive cruise was a time-based one. Time-based also means it's speed-sensitive. All the mfrs do it.

Wow you have 2 years and, and I'm sure hundreds of miles with AP data?....but you are incorrect. I have 5 years and 100,000 miles of AP1 and AP2 combined (total of 160,000 miles driven). The arbitrary following distance has changed remarkably over time, even going back to early 2015 when TACC was exclusively first rolled out, then in Late 2015 AP1 software was rolled out. In original AP1, the following distance was much closer. It evolved to a farther following distance over time, and more recently, it seems to have edged back slightly closer. It is relative to speed, of course, but it seems to also be affected by roadway type, somewhat.

Why? Are you only allowed to use the passing / HOV lane if you're following at a certain distance? I think not. The faster I go, the more space I want between myself and anything in front of me. I will concede that I rarely follow the "four second" rule, but I acutally tend to keep my car at a distance setting of 7 as it's comfortable for me and, yes, allows for room for people who need to be in the same lane as I to merge in ahead of me. I also keep right except when passing or when availing myself of the HOV lane.

If I am toodling along at 72 MPH behind another vehicle toodling along at 72MPH, anyone who cares more than I do about how much room I have ahead of me isn't thinking things through properly. And if folks to direct their cars into the room ahead of me, I don't mind slowing down to crate a new safety distance. "Better late than never" is never more true than in a two-ton metal box on a narrow strip of molded stone moving faster than humans were designed to handle.
It's called the "passing lane" for a reason and most states have move over laws.

That too much for you?

• Disagree
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Wow you have 2 years and, and I'm sure hundreds of miles with AP data?....but you are incorrect. I have 5 years and 100,000 miles of AP1 and AP2 combined (total of 160,000 miles driven). The arbitrary following distance has changed remarkably over time, even going back to early 2015 when TACC was exclusively first rolled out, then in Late 2015 AP1 software was rolled out. In original AP1, the following distance was much closer. It evolved to a farther following distance over time, and more recently, it seems to have edged back slightly closer. It is relative to speed, of course, but it seems to also be affected by roadway type, somewhat.
You didn't even read what the other poster wrote. He said the methodology had "changed a number of times over the year". Not years, but over the year. You're talking about 2015. Totally different situation.

As for "It is relative to speed". Speed is a function of time.

You didn't even read what the other poster wrote. He said the methodology had "changed a number of times over the year". Not years, but over the year. You're talking about 2015. Totally different situation.

As for "It is relative to speed". Speed is a function of time.

I don't think the issue is the methodology or the changes. The issue is the actual settings numbers that you're speaking about.

The TACC following distance has always been speed-adaptive, even from the initial rollout in 2015. You can call that time-based, speed-based, speed-adaptive, etc. We're all speaking of the same thing ... the distance between you and the car you're following goes up as the speeds go up, no matter what setting you're on.

However, the numbers on the following distance control do not correspond to any particular units. Those numbers are not in seconds, half-seconds, hundreds of yards, or anything else. They're just numbers that are in order, like a volume control that goes from 1 to 10. 1 is low volume, 10 is high volume, but any particular number does not correspond to any particular decibels of loudness.

On the following control, 1 is the shortest distance (or least time) to follow the car in front, and 7 is the longest distance (or most time) to follow the car in front. And yes, the particular distances and/or times that you might measure at any particular speed have indeed changed over the years and versions of Tesla's software. But the bottom line is that the measured distance (or time) at any particular speed is not numerically related to the number on the control setting.

I don't think the issue is the methodology or the changes. The issue is the actual settings numbers that you're speaking about.

The TACC following distance has always been speed-adaptive, even from the initial rollout in 2015. You can call that time-based, speed-based, speed-adaptive, etc. We're all speaking of the same thing ... the distance between you and the car you're following goes up as the speeds go up, no matter what setting you're on.

However, the numbers on the following distance control do not correspond to any particular units. Those numbers are not in seconds, half-seconds, hundreds of yards, or anything else. They're just numbers that are in order, like a volume control that goes from 1 to 10. 1 is low volume, 10 is high volume, but any particular number does not correspond to any particular decibels of loudness.

On the following control, 1 is the shortest distance (or least time) to follow the car in front, and 7 is the longest distance (or most time) to follow the car in front. And yes, the particular distances and/or times that you might measure at any particular speed have indeed changed over the years and versions of Tesla's software. But the bottom line is that the measured distance (or time) at any particular speed is not numerically related to the number on the control setting.

Exactly. I worded it poorly, you worded it well.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777

LOL, speed or speed adaptive are all TIME-based systems. Speed is a function of time. Does anyone remember first year physics in high school?

The units 1 to 7 are uniform increments of time. Are you going to argue they're not uniform increments? The question is what is the increment. The easiest way to know is to set the unit to "7", and then measure it. It comes out to 3.5secs. Try a different unit, and measure. You'll find that the time increment is ½ a second.

Whether it's changed over time, is not what @run-the-joules was talking about. He said it ""changed a number of times over the year"" That implies the past year, not previous years. It has not changed in the last 2 years since I've had a Tesla. If it had, you surely can find a thread on the internet about how TACC's follow distance has changed. It hasn't, and you can't.

Whether it's changed over time, is not what @run-the-joules was talking about. He said it ""changed a number of times over the year"" That implies the past year, not previous years. It has not changed in the last 2 years since I've had a Tesla. If it had, you surely can find a thread on the internet about how TACC's follow distance has changed. It hasn't, and you can't.

That was a typo. Those happen.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Please cite the Tesla documentation that states that the numbers represent uniform increments of time.
If they're not uniform increments, you want to argue they're random increments? It's implicit in the use of integers that the increment is uniform. And, since everyone here agrees it's "speed" related, then clearly the increment is time. Speed is a function of time. How many times should I repeat that before you'll think about it?

I've already told you how to test it, and still people would rather argue than just go out and do a little test for themselves. Whatever.

• Disagree
Reactions: SomeJoe7777