Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Magnetic P plate for Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife (P plater) will be sharing the car with me and I will be removing/attaching it constantly so I am looking into either magnetic or suction cup P plates since it is easier to remove.

I was wondering if anyone have done it before and can offer some advise?

It’s academic, since P-platers can’t drive Teslas.

It’s academic, since P-platers can’t drive Teslas.

Not sure about other states but Victoria bans LR and Performance but allow SR+. I have confirmed with Vic roads before getting the car.

Magnetic P plates will be fine on the rear, as the boot is steel.
However the bonnet and front bumper are non ferrous (aluminium and plastic) will not attach.
The front bumper is steel but impractical to fit as shown in left pic. You could feasibly cut a standard P plate down a bit to fit, but it might not be terribly visible or legal.

1638586348802.png

You could cut a piece of galvanised iron or steel sheet to the same size as a P plate with tab extending on one side. drill two holes in the tab to match your front number plate. Then bolt the tab behind and to the two holes on the end of your front number plate. This would create a square beside the front plate to place the magnetic P plate on. BTW the Ls are for the ute. I use the suction cup ones in the Tesla, but the are a bit of a PITA to affix.

Magnetic P plates will be fine on the rear, as the boot is steel.
However the bonnet and front bumper are non ferrous (aluminium and plastic) will not attach.
The front bumper is steel but impractical to fit as shown in left pic. You could feasibly cut a standard P plate down a bit to fit, but it might not be terribly visible or legal.

View attachment 740410

You could cut a piece of galvanised iron or steel sheet to the same size as a P plate with tab extending on one side. drill two holes in the tab to match your front number plate. Then bolt the tab behind and to the two holes on the end of your front number plate. This would create a square beside the front plate to place the magnetic P plate on. BTW the Ls are for the ute. I use the suction cup ones in the Tesla, but the are a bit of a PITA to affix.
Ah thank you so much for the info. It seems like I need to go for suction cups or use both with suction cup front and magnetic rear.

Good plan, as fitting a suction plate on the windscreen is easy whereas fitting to the back window is tricky & it can fall off because of the heating strips. Whereas fitting a magnetic plate to the boot is simple.
you probably worked it out, but I meant to say "The front mudguard (not bumper) is steel but impractical to fit as shown in left pic."

You don't have to make a comeback after proven wrong you know. My car is still a SR+ as it is the last batch of unicorn before the name being dropped.
An unsupported assertion that’s contradicted by official documents isn’t proving someone wrong. If anything it’s an admission that you’re grasping.

Unless the unicorn series is specifically allowed, assume that it isn’t. Every single variant has to be explicitly specified.

I am confused. Don't the Vicroads links above say the SR+ is approved? What am I missing?
Don't worry about him. He is butthurt that he got proven wrong and trying to make it sounds like he is right. First SR+ is allowed which prove him wrong and then now he is trying to say unicorn is not allowed after I said my car is the last batch of SR+ and unicorn.

I have to see if I can get mods to close this thread.

Except you supplied no proof.

Rego has lots of variants for every model listed and all variants are assessed separately. You need to be certain that your specific model AND variant, not just prior SR+ variants, is P-plate legal. They aren’t efficient at adding new variants of borderline cars to exemption lists. The current debacle with the base RWD Model 3 is proof of that (note: actual proof supplied in link above).

The automatic number plate recognition systems in police cars will reference the government database for that exact variant, not past variants.

Enjoy paying the fines if they notice the P-plates on an ANPR match before they get around to exempting the unicorn (or, for those who buy the new base model, that too).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Moderators note,
I’m not going to close this thread.
I will however start to moderate or ban users who do not show respect to other users points of view. You can make your points without disrespect to other parties.
To be clear the above comment refers to both sides of the argument.
From my point of view, anyone who is going to purchase a vehicle with the intention of allowing a P plate driver to use the vehicle regularly should do all due diligence to ensure the classification of their specific vehicle by registration authorities and the legality of allowing the P plate driver/s to drive the vehicle before purchase.
I would hate for the owner to be in the situation that the car they just spent circa $70k was not legal for use in the way they planned.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot