Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maine - Inspection Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, first post for me, been following a long time.

My wife and I are taking delivery in late June in Portland, OR of Model X 100D, and taking 3 weeks to drive it back home to Maine through the month of July stopping at national parks, destination charger hotels, and friends and family. I know how to go about getting it registered, plated, etc. once we're home. But my real question is, do I need an inspection sticker right when I get home, or is there an existing inspection sticker from the factory that will suffice until the next year?

Thanks!

I'll probably have more questions as delivery day gets closer!

You will need an inspection sticker once you arrive in ME or from a state that ME recognizes (I know they recognize NH but that may be the only one). I get mine from Autowerkes in Freeport. They specialize in German cars but have done tires (no alignment) and inspections for me.

I'd plan to arrive in ME under cover of darkness and try not to get pulled over until I get home. Then go get a sticker in the morning (or park it until you can get a sticker).

If anyone gives you a hard time en route, point out you are driving home from the west coast, the car hasn't been in ME yet, so how could you get a ME sticker?

Thanks everyone for the quick responses, what a great resource! That emissions test might be a tough one! LOL

Verona Island is close and a nice drive, so I'll give Ken a call when I get the car, always good to have someone familiar with Tesla and EVs.

Now I just continue my wait. o_O:confused::eek:

Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Registrations & Titles

But that's conversion of an out-of-state registration.

If you simply are taking delivery out of state, then it should be that the car has passed that state's or CA's requirements so you can drive it in.

If in doubt, you could contact the Registrations department of the BMV who should be able to tell you what you'll need to do. (Although I think that inspections are actually state police responsibility). At worst you'd need to get a transfer plate, which allows you to drive the car to the place of inspection.

Last edited:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Registrations & Titles

But that's conversion of an out-of-state registration.

If you simply are taking delivery out of state, then it should be that the car has passed that state's or CA's requirements so you can drive it in.

If in doubt, you could contact the Registrations department of the BMV who should be able to tell you what you'll need to do. (Although I think that inspections are actually state police responsibility). At worst you'd need to get a transfer plate, which allows you to drive the car to the place of inspection.

Transit plate. I meant transit plate, not transfer plate.

Will continue the thread necro to reply:

Paris Auto Barn in South Paris is well versed in electric and hybrid vehicles. The owner was an early model 3 owner and I believe they just bought a second.

The owner at Autowerks in Freeport recently bought a Model S so i expect they should be knowledgable in the near future. They've always provided those I know with good service on anything that's been brought in.

A few other dealers in the area have sold a few used Teslas and put stickers on them before they sold. They can theoretically do it, but you might not get the thorough inspection you'd like from someone that specializes.