Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maine!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going through this order process right now. I ordered my Y last week, hoping it would come to MA, then realized this issue with MA (thanks to these forums and reddit), now it's going to Paramus. I am having it shipped because I just cannot justify the very long day to fly to Newark from Bangor and uber to Paramus and drive back. BUT, I have just learned that while mud flaps and PPF are included for Maine, they are not included on my vehicle because the NJ SC does not have these on-hand because they are not in the region that requires them. SO, I will have to put in a service request upon arrival, the mud flaps can be installed by remote service, but I will have to drive the car down to an MA SC to get the PPF put on and hope they'll reimburse me. Customer service has been great in answering all these questions but jeez, let's make this process less stupid please!

Which is the better process for us Mainers moving forward: advocate to Maine legislature to change laws or get an SC in VT or NH that will allow transfer to ME registration?

A Tesla Service/Sales center has been approved for Londonderry, NH - see this post/thread for more details. When that's complete, I assume Maine will treat Teslas picked up there as they do any other out-of-state vehicle purchase but I'm completely unfamiliar with Maine laws.

I'm in NH and made the trip to Paramus to pick up mine - it was a long day but I work remotely and I was able to be productive for most of the trip. No provided PPF or mud flaps for me either but I had already planned on doing a full PPF and I purchased my own mud flaps.

Making the trip down to MA for a couple of small pieces of PPF seems like a lot. Mud flaps are also easy to install. Could be worth it to see if they'll just ship the parts to you for free to install yourself if you're handy. Also, I'm not sure how much I'd count on Tesla reimbursing you without that being clear in advance. Alternately, both items are available to purchase in Tesla's online store and they're not expensive. Also, there are plenty of 3rd party options for both that are priced similarly or even cheaper.

Going through this order process right now. I ordered my Y last week, hoping it would come to MA, then realized this issue with MA (thanks to these forums and reddit), now it's going to Paramus. I am having it shipped because I just cannot justify the very long day to fly to Newark from Bangor and uber to Paramus and drive back. BUT, I have just learned that while mud flaps and PPF are included for Maine, they are not included on my vehicle because the NJ SC does not have these on-hand because they are not in the region that requires them. SO, I will have to put in a service request upon arrival, the mud flaps can be installed by remote service, but I will have to drive the car down to an MA SC to get the PPF put on and hope they'll reimburse me. Customer service has been great in answering all these questions but jeez, let's make this process less stupid please!

Which is the better process for us Mainers moving forward: advocate to Maine legislature to change laws or get an SC in VT or NH that will allow transfer to ME registration?
My Wife and I drove down to Paramus in a rental two years ago, stayed over night at a hotel then dove back to Hancock County, Maine. It was about 11 hours drive with stopping to charge and take a break for lunch.

Should be - there's no legal or tax reason I can think of to prevent it. I've bought 2 cars from VT dealers as a NH resident.; never was asked to pay VT tax or had any other issues.
I would have thought that they would send ME and NH customers to the new CT location for pickup. They still seem to be sending us to NJ at this time.