Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major scam happening on YouTube live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I have just been on YouTube watching what appeared to be a live video from an official Tesla event. Elon talking and taking questions from the audience. All of a sudden he talks very scripted, a QR code shows in the corner of the screen and he is asking people to send in crypto currency claimng they will instantly get back twice the amount. It looks like Elon, it sounds like him but it clearly is a fake video. It is a clear scam. The channel looks like Tesla as well. I discovered there is at least one more channel also doing a live stream sunning the same fake video. I cannot believe YouTube is letting this happen.

Reactions: CyberGus
I have just been on YouTube watching what appeared to be a live video from an official Tesla event. Elon talking and taking questions from the audience. All of a sudden he talks very scripted, a QR code shows in the corner of the screen and he is asking people to send in crypto currency claimng they will instantly get back twice the amount. It looks like Elon, it sounds like him but it clearly is a fake video. It is a clear scam. The channel looks like Tesla as well. I discovered there is at least one more channel also doing a live stream sunning the same fake video. I cannot believe YouTube is letting this happen.

The more I reported these to YouTube, the more the algorithm showed to me. After reporting these multiple times a day, I decided it was YouTube's problem.

These have been going on for years. Nothing new at all. I also tried reporting them, and if they get taken down (not really likely) they just pop up on new channels with thousands of followers (all bots, for sure). These channels tend to spike during SpaceX launches so if you search for "spaceX launch today" or "tesla livestream" the first several top results are these crypto scams. Google doesn't care, it generates engagement and revenue.

• Helpful
Reactions: cwerdna and David99