Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Make sure you increase your insured value as FSD increases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been debating getting the upgrade at $7,000 before it goes up but I wonder what it will do to my insurance premiums. When you say 10k, what is that based on?
It’s all due to different forums in different countries. It only becomes truely confusing when someone in the US is viewing a forum based in Australia (or vis a versa). If a price is mentioned in euros or pounds it sends up a flag that ‘this is not what you will pay’... once dollars are quoted then the confusion erupts. HK dollars are much worse. The Australian dollar is currently trading at 0.657 to the USD and all prices in Australia include the 10%GST which is not unlike the state sales taxes that are never mentioned but have to be paid in the US

Last edited:
Reactions: 1965Falcon
I've been debating getting the upgrade at $7,000 before it goes up but I wonder what it will do to my insurance premiums. When you say 10k, what is that based on?
I'm with CommInsure and just got FSD / increased my coverage. They added a line item for "internal modification" worth $9k (I got FSD and rear heated seats). Increased monthly premium by about $11 prorata for the rest of the year until Sept.

FYI for those who are on NRMA with Market Value cover...

If you meet the following criteria:
Car registered less than two years ago
Car purchased brand new
No finance on car

They will pay out the FSD option in the new for old replacement.

I just spoke with the claims team and as long as you have evidence that the option is a manufacturer's optional extra and you have the paperwork to prove you purchased it (should be easy to get from Tesla), they will match it (this includes, wheels, paint, FSD etc)

FYI for those who are on NRMA with Market Value cover...

If you meet the following criteria:
Car registered less than two years ago
Car purchased brand new
No finance on car

They will pay out the FSD option in the new for old replacement.

I just spoke with the claims team and as long as you have evidence that the option is a manufacturer's optional extra and you have the paperwork to prove you purchased it (should be easy to get from Tesla), they will match it (this includes, wheels, paint, FSD etc)
I have also been advised by AAMI for their under 2 year old policy, that the all over paint protection film ($7K) & aftermarket fitted towbar ($1K) on mine are not replaced if the car is stolen or written off in the first 2 years, even if you increase the insured value for them. Check your insurance policy.