Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making hands free calls??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, does anybody know how I can use the car's microphone function to make calls? In my old BMW I could just press the mic button and say ' call xxx' and it would dial that person but I just can't make it work in my new M3H?
Thanks in advance,
Nick

^ Yes. And not just person names. You can also say "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx" and it will call that phone number.
I think it doesn’t always recognize certain names. I can easily call my son (for example) but it never recognizes my wife’s contact name. I’ve always had to tell it to dial her number when I want the car to call her.

Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason. I’ve just decided to direct the voice commands for calls and texts to my phone.

I think others reported issues with calling contacts that have more than one phone number. I rarely initiate calls from the car so I don’t know for sure.

Yeah the car interface doesnt directly call a contact if it has more than one phone number, even if you ask it to by specifying the entry. Meaning, if, for example, you have an entry in your phone for your significant other and they have "work" and "mobile" settings, it still doesnt work to say "call John / Jane Doe, Mobile".

Because I wanted to be able to voice to text for text messages to a few people while I drive (like my wife and my daughter specifically), I ended up creating separate contacts in my phone for them.

It would be nice if the Tesla interface worked the way BMWs did, by allowing you to "long press" the voice button and access the phone interface directly, but it doesnt.

@Noodle944 if you want to use the phone interface directly (without touching the phone), the only way I found to do that in the car is to turn on "hey siri" / "hey google" (which is not something I particularly like using).

Reactions: Noodle944