Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March 2022 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to disagree but the 14-50 should be able to charge my car easily overnight. If you drive a lot and need to fully charge each day, or have multiple EVs, then maybe the 32 amps is not enough, but for a single car with moderate driving it should be fine.
Safety and speed wise the best solution for home charging is to have a hard wired unit. I have seen many a plug or receptacle melt over the years. Plugs and receptacles are additional failure points that are unnecessary when charging at home.

Obviously it is your choice but I keep the mobile charger for mobile charging needs. The risk of melting or burning due to arcing connections isn't worth it IMO. When at home I charge using my hard wired TWC.

Reactions: DirtyHand$
Safety and speed wise the best solution for home charging is to have a hard wired unit. I have seen many a plug or receptacle melt over the years. Plugs and receptacles are additional failure points that are unnecessary when charging at home.

Obviously it is your choice but I keep the mobile charger for mobile charging needs. The risk of melting or burning due to arcing connections isn't worth it IMO. When at home I charge using my hard wired TWC.
Where is it documented anywhere that using a Mobile Charger daily has a risk of Melting or Burning?

Reactions: ebartolome
@240vPlug I would like to see data surrounding this claim also. I have not heard anything about this regarding the mobile charger, even searching through this group.
Using any plug, will wear out the contacts inside the receptacle or the plug. Not a big issue with low voltage plugs but high voltage plugs it is. Receptacles or the plug itself can cause arcing from use. Arcing is what causes fires. If your lucky it will just melt and make some smoke. The mobile connector is not the problem it is the method of connecting to the electrical supply. Further electrical code requires AFCI protection on the lower voltage circuit which will trip the breaker if there is arcing. The higher voltage stuff is not protected with a AFCI breaker!

If you just leave it plugged in and never remove it then it will probably be fine. It is a mobile charger as the name implies, in most cases will it be ok, yes, but there will be cases where it isn't and that could harm person or property. Not worth it to save a few bucks on installing a proper home charging solution.

Another data point

OD 3/2 Blue/black, tow, no fsd
Taking delivery in Stockton CA

Original "April" then month long windows starting 4/10, then 5/10, got bumped to 6/13 to 7/1 over the weekend as well.

I didn't expect such disingenuous actions from Tesla when I ordered. This forum has been great for data and info. Wish I knew it was this bad before I ordered, would have saved me some frustration.

Got another EDD update this morning. Hopefully getting closer to the mythical VIN.
MYP, Silver/Black, tow

Order Date: 3/05/22 - Website and SA Exp April

Order EDD: May 16-June 13

3/18 EDD Changed: March 26 - April 8
3/27 EDD Changed: March 29 - April 8
3/29 EDD Changed: April 12 - May 10
4/12 EDD Changed: May 15 - June 16
4/22 EDD Changed: May 11 - June 8

5/9 EDD Changed: May 15 - May 29