Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Margin requirement for TSLA at your broker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dl003

Nov 22, 2019
Texas
Right now I'm using IBKR. I like the features and the margin rates although I don't use much margin at all. What I don't like is how anal its margin requirement for TSLA is. Hate it. I think mine is up to 75-80% although I don't use much margin at all.
Just wanted to see if everybody knows what their broker(s) requires? I might need to switch as this is getting ridiculous. I'm using Portfolio Margin.
Looking into E*trade and it seems they have 70% as well. Can't find this information easily on the web.
Your input is appreciated!

I'm experiencing the same thing at interactive brokers right now. I just switched over to them as well. I'm super disappointed with the margin rate on TSLA stock. I should have researched this more ahead of time. I switched to them to get access to the margin loans for down the road. I might look into Schwab if its really 40 percent with TSLA.

I like it a lot - street smart edge is the platform to download and it gives a lot of market data - like order flow and level 2 if you care to look at that.
They have been helpful as well when I needed to actually talk to someone.

Right now I'm using IBKR. I like the features and the margin rates although I don't use much margin at all. What I don't like is how anal its margin requirement for TSLA is. Hate it. I think mine is up to 75-80% although I don't use much margin at all.
Just wanted to see if everybody knows what their broker(s) requires? I might need to switch as this is getting ridiculous. I'm using Portfolio Margin.
Looking into E*trade and it seems they have 70% as well. Can't find this information easily on the web.
Your input is appreciated!
I'm in IB too, and using some margin. They recently announced a margin increase in accounts that have concentrated positions of TSLA. This is my trading account, so it has only TSLA and cash.
The note is kind of confusing.. if I understand it correctly, they now run a stress test on TSLA that stimulates a -50% drop in share price, and the margin requirement is whatever comes from under that test.

I did some calculations, according to those maintenance margin requirement came to about 66% and initial margin to about 72%.

Unfortunately I don't know of any other broker here in EU that will deal with us options.. so stuck here at IB.

I confirm Etrade uses 40% margin requirement for TSLA
Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 10.15.57.png

40% margin requirement is great, but what is the margin interest rate at Schwab and ETrade? Will they lower it if you ask? Thanks.
Schwab will lower if you ask. I asked and they gave me a rate of 4.75 if I remember correctly. That rate is locked in for one year. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but if I do, I probably won't keep it for more than a year since I have plenty of long term shares I can use to erase the debt.

• Helpful
Reactions: PeterJA