TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Market share

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by rogerbohl, Jun 27, 2019.

1. rogerbohl

rogerbohl Member

In the SF Bay Area of CA, Tesla seem to be everywhere!. I would love to see information on Tesla's share of existing cars on the road, as well as Tesla's share of new car registrations in areas such as CA, where Tesla support, consumer openmindedness and other factors provide a fertile market. During a 14,000-mile round-the-country, my wife and I were struck by the enormous obvious, visible difference in Tesla penetration among different states, and speculated that overall US market share disguises the fundamental appeal of Teslas to buyers where conditions are more supportive. E.g., Superchargers in CA were often near full, but in mid-America, virtually empty!

Evidently this kind of data is readily available through $$ information services, but surely there are bits available through leakage??

2. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

#2 neroden, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Share of cars on the road is very hard for anyone to figure out. You can try registration data in some places, but it's also skewed by "yard cars" which are registered but not driven much.

Share of new car registrations is a lot easier. Ev-sales.blogspot.com (Jose Pontes) tracks new EV sales; for the US, so does Inside-Evs. You can probably find total new vehicle sales somewhere (I usually don't have much trouble finding that).

Getting California-specific data seems a bit harder. It's been stated more than once that about half of Tesla sales in the US are in California.

I find that California had about 2 million new vehicle registrations per year in 2017, expected to be the same in 2018 The US had about 192,000 Tesla deliveries in 2018, of which about half were in California. So that's about 5% of the California market.

The Tesla production rate for the first half of 2019 is currently at the same average as the 2018 rate, so 5% should still be about right for now. It should go up later in the year.

3. Magellan55

Magellan55 Member

goodcarbadcar.net reports monthly sales in the US/Canada, but not by state.