Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max charge 93%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It got to 97% then stopped and would not restart. Was tempted to call the SvC but this morning I have a 180 mile drive to work, so, no time to mess with it further.
That 180 mile drive starts out up a medium sized hill, then down quite a large one. Observed the following new-to-me effect: charge was down to 92% at the top of the hill, and regen was unrestricted. As I rolled down the large side of the hill, regen was normal until I picked up 1% of charge -- that seemingly magic 93% - then regen restriction kicked back in and got tighter and tighter so my charge level never got above 93% all the way down.

This car *really* seems to want to max out at 93% right now. We'll have to see what they say at the SvC next week.

That 180 mile drive starts out up a medium sized hill, then down quite a large one. Observed the following new-to-me effect: charge was down to 92% at the top of the hill, and regen was unrestricted. As I rolled down the large side of the hill, regen was normal until I picked up 1% of charge -- that seemingly magic 93% - then regen restriction kicked back in and got tighter and tighter so my charge level never got above 93% all the way down.

This car *really* seems to want to max out at 93% right now. We'll have to see what they say at the SvC next week.
Interesting findings! What is an ‘ack’? What heading did you put under your service request? Did the service request disappear after the ack came through or is that the one you have for next week?

Thanks for the updates!

Interesting findings! What is an ‘ack’? What heading did you put under your service request? Did the service request disappear after the ack came through or is that the one you have for next week?

Thanks for the updates!

I put in the service request as "battery and charging".

When you schedule service through the app, assuming they have a number on file that accepts SMS they send you a confirmation by SMS shortly thereafter. In this case I got two duplicate confirmations a few minutes apart, and somewhere right in there, the car suddenly started charging again extremely slowly, finally making it to 97% before stopping.

I don't know whether any human being looks at the service request before that SMS goes out, but, I'm guessing maybe so -- right in there, my local SvC's staff would all have started work for the day, based on my recollection of being there first thing and watching them come in several times -- and I wonder if they did something that nudged my car to charge a little more.

Reactions: ChooseGreen
Interesting to hear the outcome, my MS60 is ding the exact same thing.
It won’t charge past 93% :(

the other day I needed the full range for a trip but no luck
Thanks for your reply. You could try the procedure I mentioned on the first page of this thread (if you’re able of course).

I tried to go to 100% twice this past weekend. Once made it to 95% and the next to 93%; HOWEVER it was below freezing at the time and I think that as it approached full the battery temperature dropped and the charging stopped because of that instead of it reaching capacity as I’m still on 110V charging. I’m continuing to investigate this.