Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Power Output

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at adding solar+2 powerwalls. One question I have is, what happens if you exceed the output of the powerwall. I don't want to turn on a light switch that causes a brown out, because I exceed the max. output of the walls. Is there any mechansim built in to the powerwall, or is it on the user to not overdraw the system?

Also, is wifi acceptable, or does the system really need a wired ethernet connection?

Thanks.

Also, is wifi acceptable, or does the system really need a wired ethernet connection?

I cant answer the brownout question, I assume you are referring to the case of what happens in a power outage. I believe they wire it up to not exceed the PW capacity, but I haven't really tested that.

As far as connectivity, they prefer hardwire over anything. They will set you up with a powerline adapter if you don't have ethernet in lieu of wifi. I am running the powerline adapter and it's been fine.

I cant answer the brownout question, I assume you are referring to the case of what happens in a power outage. I believe they wire it up to not exceed the PW capacity, but I haven't really tested that.

As far as connectivity, they prefer hardwire over anything. They will set you up with a powerline adapter if you don't have ethernet in lieu of wifi. I am running the powerline adapter and it's been fine.

Yes I am referring to off grid. I assume if Grid is up, and you need more supply, it comes from battery+grid.

Yes I am referring to off grid. I assume if Grid is up, and you need more supply, it comes from battery+grid.

Gotcha. I have only done the testing power outage when they were setting it up. I noticed the lights flickered a bit, but that was all. The installers did not come in and tell me to turn stuff off first, so I think it is pretty seamless. (Maybe too seamless - in a real outage, I would probably want to turn off stuff to make the batteries last longer, but right now I won't even know the grid is down)

Edit: actually, I know the PWs can run my whole house without issues, because they don't pull from the grid even when my AC is running and we have laundry going etc. My two EVs are the only thing that can draw enough to exceed their capacity.

Each PW can do 7kW peak and 5kW continuous. Two doubles that. So very few things will cause your home to be drawing 10kW continuous to exceed their draw. My AC pulls about 4.5kW when it's starting up.

Last edited:
Gotcha. I have only done the testing power outage when they were setting it up. I noticed the lights flickered a bit, but that was all. The installers did not come in and tell me to turn stuff off first, so I think it is pretty seamless. (Maybe too seamless - in a real outage, I would probably want to turn off stuff to make the batteries last longer, but right now I won't even know the grid is down)

Edit: actually, I know the PWs can run my whole house without issues, because they don't pull from the grid even when my AC is running and we have laundry going etc. My two EVs are the only thing that can draw enough to exceed their capacity.

Each PW can do 7kW peak and 5kW continuous. Two doubles that. So very few things will cause your home to be drawing 10kW continuous to exceed their draw. My AC pulls about 4.5kW when it's starting up.

I think it would be hard for me to exceed as well, but I'd hate to fry a fridge or computer on an assumption that could be engineered in as a pre-caution.

I am looking at adding solar+2 powerwalls. One question I have is, what happens if you exceed the output of the powerwall. I don't want to turn on a light switch that causes a brown out, because I exceed the max. output of the walls. Is there any mechansim built in to the powerwall, or is it on the user to not overdraw the system?

Thanks.
As I understand it, the installers will never wire up a system that can brown-out in normal usage. Either all your circuits fit within the power-envelope, or they move circuits that can't be backed-up away from the backup panel.

As for when the batteries run out, that's a different case.