Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU display issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't fully explain what happened, but I did have a similar issue 2 months ago. I had vertical lines about the same length coming down from the top of the screen. I brought the car into the service center and they replaced the MCU. The text of my invoice is below. 2014 Model S.

Concern: Customer states the touchscreen has flickering black lines on the top. It appears
that the touchscreen may be going bad. Inspect/Advise.

Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Media Control Unit (Touchscreen)
Diagnostics show the media control unit is not functioning appropriately. Removed and
replaced the media control unit, pushed updated firmware to ensure proper
communication..

Part Quantity
MCU NA PREMIUM - Model S and Model X
(1045006-00-D)

ANTENNA , BLUETOOTH (1052393-00-B) 1
ASSY,HARN,MDLS,JUMPER, HSD CAMERA
(1127304-00-B)

Parts Replaced or Added

Corrections: Update Navigation Maps Using Toolbox
Technicians then updated the firmware on vehicle and maps for the navigation.

I can't fully explain what happened, but I did have a similar issue 2 months ago. I had vertical lines about the same length coming down from the top of the screen. I brought the car into the service center and they replaced the MCU. The text of my invoice is below. 2014 Model S.

Concern: Customer states the touchscreen has flickering black lines on the top. It appears
that the touchscreen may be going bad. Inspect/Advise.

Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Media Control Unit (Touchscreen)
Diagnostics show the media control unit is not functioning appropriately. Removed and
replaced the media control unit, pushed updated firmware to ensure proper
communication..

Part Quantity
MCU NA PREMIUM - Model S and Model X
(1045006-00-D)

ANTENNA , BLUETOOTH (1052393-00-B) 1
ASSY,HARN,MDLS,JUMPER, HSD CAMERA
(1127304-00-B)

Parts Replaced or Added

Corrections: Update Navigation Maps Using Toolbox
Technicians then updated the firmware on vehicle and maps for the navigation.

Ok. Thanks. Were your lines permanent and always in the same spot?

No. The black lines flickered randomly near the top of my screen in different locations. I can probably dig up a video if you want to see it.

Also, I had gibberish on the screen when I would touch the Tesla T. Random letters/symbols. Not consistent though. It was odd.

No. The black lines flickered randomly near the top of my screen in different locations. I can probably dig up a video if you want to see it.

Also, I had gibberish on the screen when I would touch the Tesla T. Random letters/symbols. Not consistent though. It was odd.

Helpful. Thanks. Just rebooted the MCU. Flicker all gone. But like last time, it’ll likely come back. May have to schedule a service call like you did.

Helpful. Thanks. Just rebooted the MCU. Flicker all gone. But like last time, it’ll likely come back. May have to schedule a service call like you did.

You are welcome. Mine would recover after a reboot, but the problem would return typically within 24 hours. Hopefully they can get it repaired for you soon. Service center had my car for 5 days. Most of that time was waiting on shipping of the replacement MCU.

You are welcome. Mine would recover after a reboot, but the problem would return typically within 24 hours. Hopefully they can get it repaired for you soon. Service center had my car for 5 days. Most of that time was waiting on shipping of the replacement MCU.

Still fine a day later. Here’s hoping the firmware update I got last night somehow has a permanent remedy for this. Question, do you know if you got the new Intel CPU when they swapped your MCU? Can’t tell from your service bulletin details. That would be a nice bonus.

Still fine a day later. Here’s hoping the firmware update I got last night somehow has a permanent remedy for this. Question, do you know if you got the new Intel CPU when they swapped your MCU? Can’t tell from your service bulletin details. That would be a nice bonus.

I did not get the new version. They replaced it with the older Tegra MCU that my car came with. I'm not sure if it was new or refurbished.

Hopefully the firmware update resolved your issue permanently. That did not work for me. I had the same flickering lines and garbled text after trying a firmware update. The MCU still functioned, but it didn't look right.