Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S limiting to 24/32A on new charger.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I've trawled around trying to find my specific issue and the closest I've come across is a YT vid (linked below) which seems to explain, but the fix has not worked.

New (to me) car, brand new wall box which is definitely set to 32A. While the car registers the 32A limit when charging, it refuses to pull more than 24A (see screenshot). The video suggests it's a bug related to the location, which seems to be supported by the display showing 24A when not charging.

It's NOT supply related. Even with both the car at 24A plus my two powerwalls at ~42A, the charger recorded the voltage as 238V. We have a good mains connection here.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to kick the car up to 32A? Thanks in advance.

The wall box is a Rolec QUBEV.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-09 at 11.57.28_d292f80d.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-09 at 11.57.28_d292f80d.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 50
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-01-09 at 11.57.50_b5fd913e.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-09 at 11.57.50_b5fd913e.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 26
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-01-09 at 12.16.15_53150db1.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-09 at 12.16.15_53150db1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 23
Has your charger have a CT clamp connected ?.... I can limit the amps on the app on one of my chargers and it will reproduce the same as shown on your pictures.

Yes, it is set to load balance as it sees the house approach 100A. The charger also has a current throttle that an be set manually. Mine is set to 32A. The behaviour is the same even when the powerwalls are feeding the charger (which the charger CT doesn't "see"), and at night when the powerwalls are charging too (CT sees ~60A total). Interesting to know it can be a supply side issue though. I may try unplugging the CT.

Previous thread with similar issue:
Similar, but not the same. His was an issue with inconsistent mains supply. Mine is a rock solid 24A and the connection stays only a couple of volts either side of 240 regardless of load.

Can another EV charge on your charger at 32AMPs (is it Charger or is it Car)

Install a trial version of TeslaFi or Tessie / similar and LOG the actual numbers (in case whatever you are seeing is wrong in APP, or transitory e.g. started off higher and fell back [by the time you looked], or started off low [when you looked] but ramped up later)

If there are other Big Uses of power, when your Car Charge starts, something may be detecting them and throttling back (and it may improve later, or it may decide "I'll stick at this" - either way, a logging APP would help identify any/all of that)

Can another EV charge on your charger at 32AMPs (is it Charger or is it Car)

Install a trial version of TeslaFi or Tessie / similar and LOG the actual numbers (in case whatever you are seeing is wrong in APP, or transitory e.g. started off higher and fell back [by the time you looked], or started off low [when you looked] but ramped up later)

If there are other Big Uses of power, when your Car Charge starts, something may be detecting them and throttling back (and it may improve later, or it may decide "I'll stick at this" - either way, a logging APP would help identify any/all of that)
I'll be seeing a friend with a M3 next week so will get him to check. Other than that, I think I have all the answers already thanks to the graph from Powerwall (see above). in a 3 hour charge it was pretty rock solid despite the powerwalls also switching in during that time. I've also tried it with little to no other load on the house too, with and without powerwalls. It's very consistent. It looks exactly like the location issue described in that video. One point which probably has no bearing on it: My map update is stuck downloading. Currently waiting to hear from Tesla about an MCU2 upgrade.

I may try unplugging the CT.

You can try that. Some CT's kick in at around 60A.

The behaviour is the same even when the powerwalls are feeding the charger (which the charger CT doesn't "see"),
In off grid mode I assume.

It could be that the car has detected this before and is stuck there. Have you tried changing the setting whilst its charging and you dont have much else running in the house 🤷‍♂️

Have you tried changing the setting whilst its charging

Might be it is "remembering" 24AMP (from a previous setting). 2-button-reboot worthwhile (for no other reason than ruling out "An update might have mucked something up")

Lots of things that can easily be fiddled with using TesalFi et al - rather than having to stay up and babysit all night !!

e.g. schedule a "task" to change amps to 32AMP at, say, 5 minutes after charging starts

And again, repeated through the night - if you find that it drops back for some reason and want to see how long you can get it to "hold" at 32AMP

You can try that. Some CT's kick in at around 60A.

In off grid mode I assume.

It could be that the car has detected this before and is stuck there. Have you tried changing the setting whilst its charging and you dont have much else running in the house 🤷‍♂️
I only have a Gateway 1 so off-grid isn't an option. The powerwalls are capable of 10kW so with not much load from the house, they supply the charger in its entieity. Because the CT clamp lives around the mains input, it sees nothing when this happens. In the small hours of the morning when the powerwalls are charging, it sees the whole kabbodle ~60A. Either way, it's a rock solid 24A at the car.

What setting do you want me to change? The car says 32A on the in-car adjuster when charging (24A in image above, disconnected).

Might be it is "remembering" 24AMP (from a previous setting). 2-button-reboot worthwhile (for no other reason than ruling out "An update might have mucked something up")

Lots of things that can easily be fiddled with using TesalFi et al - rather than having to stay up and babysit all night !!

e.g. schedule a "task" to change amps to 32AMP at, say, 5 minutes after charging starts

And again, repeated through the night - if you find that it drops back for some reason and want to see how long you can get it to "hold" at 32AMP
I've done a couple of reboots for different reasons (trying to get the maps update working most recently!) prior to the charger install. I'll try again and NOT re-start the maps.

Good idea dialling it back to 24 then trying to increase. I'll give that a go too. Thanks.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I've done a couple of reboots for different reasons

Rules that out then (as you have found ... no harm in trying of course. Frustrating for you)

On plugging in, it shows 32A but charges at 24

Where are you seeing SHOWS and CHARGES AT ?

Is it possibly gaining the correct %age-add, per hour, for 32AMP charging? (i.e. it IS charging at 32A but PowerWall is, wrongly, thinking that it is 24A)?

All of this is why I recommend TeslaFi / similar - its more data to help narrow the cause, and it is the data from the car's PoV (rather than PowerWall which may be relying on the Clamp and APP that might be wrong for whatever reason ... unlikely as any of that might be). 2 weeks free trail - a month if you use a referral code (my nickname here will do if you don't have an alterative)

It will also show the Voltage and AMPs (and all sorts of other stuff) over time. So you don't have to sit-and-watch, and you also may see a change (e.g. at some point overnight) which will be a surprise - hopefully a Eureka one!

Rules that out then (as you have found ... no harm in trying of course. Frustrating for you)

Where are you seeing SHOWS and CHARGES AT ?

Is it possibly gaining the correct %age-add, per hour, for 32AMP charging? (i.e. it IS charging at 32A but PowerWall is, wrongly, thinking that it is 24A)?

All of this is why I recommend TeslaFi / similar - its more data to help narrow the cause, and it is the data from the car's PoV (rather than PowerWall which may be relying on the Clamp and APP that might be wrong for whatever reason ... unlikely as any of that might be). 2 weeks free trail - a month if you use a referral code (my nickname here will do if you don't have an alterative)

It will also show the Voltage and AMPs (and all sorts of other stuff) over time. So you don't have to sit-and-watch, and you also may see a change (e.g. at some point overnight) which will be a surprise - hopefully a Eureka one!
it shows 24/32 on the dash (now 26/32), and shows 32 on the centre screen as the max charge current.

Powerwall (also part of the Tesla app) measured independently and concurs. The charger also reads the the same from a different source. There's definitely a problem here. Either the charger is throttling when it shouldn't (but why let me have 26A when selected in the car?), or the car is.

Mine has a similar issue. If the car is set to instant charge and not scheduled it will charge at full speed. If you use the car/app timer it won't.

If you charge it at full speed and then set a schedule for later it will keep the full speed. It has to be plugged in and start charging to get and keep the full speed. If you plug it in and it's on a schedule you'll get the reduced speed.

I assume your issue is somehow related to this glitch.

My S did this with a rolec. I now have a Tesla wallbox. It does the same. I have the wallbox set to a max of 28 amps so it shows 32 (car's max) and then 28 as the max. It charges at the 28. If it is on schedule it only charges on 16 amps and it cannot be increased unless you plug in with it not scheduled, then schedule the charge for later. Then it usually keeps the higher speed.

Doesn't matter what time it is set on a schedule it's always 16 amps max. Charge it at the same time on the instant charge and it's full speed so it's not a power related thing at all.

Reactions: Stunned Monkey
Doesn't matter what time it is set on a schedule it's always 16 amps max.

Can you override (/ "solve") that using a scheduler such as TeslaFi?

My car is often charging during the day, from PV, and the AMPs gets adjusted according to what spare PV is available (not much this time of year!) and, consequently, sometimes the car is "confused" when Off Peak starts. So I have TeslaFi (in my case) set to CHANGE AMPS to 32 (could be 28 in your case) just before the start of Off Peak. But it could be scheduled repeatedly, at intervals, throughout the Off Peak period, then if the AMPs drops (e.g. because it senses low Voltage, because other stuff has come on during Off Peak), and if the car fails to readjust back up - then a recurring . my schedule could "push" that request

All these bits-and-bobs just to save me from waking up to a half-charged car - because e.g. I lowered the AMPs for some reason, yesterday, and forgot to put them back up