Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU upgrade warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not aware of Tesla offering this service at all... if you mean buying the part yourself there'd be no warranty at all other than what the part comes with.

I am fairly sure (but not 100% sure) that Tesla offers computer upgrades from 2.5 to 3.0 separately, for like $1500 or something (speaking model 3 specific, now). I think the intent is for people who have HW2.5 to get to HW3.0 so they can subscribe to FSD.

I dont know what the warranty on that upgrade is, though.

EDIT: Googling to check if I was mis remembering this, turns up a few articles that confirm it, and state tesla dropped the price to $1000.

I am fairly sure (but not 100% sure) that Tesla offers computer upgrades from 2.5 to 3.0 separately, for like $1500 or something (speaking model 3 specific, now). I think the intent is for people who have HW2.5 to get to HW3.0 so they can subscribe to FSD.

I dont know what the warranty on that upgrade is, though.

EDIT: Googling to check if I was mis remembering this, turns up a few articles that confirm it, and state tesla dropped the price to $1000.

That's the driving computer.

OP is asking about the media computer.

AFAIK current US HW2.5 and HW3.0 driving computers both share the same atom-based media computer, with only the refreshed S/X getting newer AMD based media computers.

To my knowledge the only time Tesla has offered an MCU upgrade on US vehicles up to now is for quite old S/X with MCU1->MCU2.

It's possible they will offer an MCU2->MCU3 upgrade in the future- but I'm unaware of such an offering today (and given chip shortages esp on AMD processors I wouldn't hold my breath for one anytime soon)

That's the driving computer.

OP is asking about the media computer.

AFAIK current US HW2.5 and HW3.0 driving computers both share the same atom-based media computer, with only the refreshed S/X getting newer AMD based media computers.

To my knowledge the only time Tesla has offered an MCU upgrade on US vehicles up to now is for quite old S/X with MCU1->MCU2.

It's possible they will offer an MCU2->MCU3 upgrade in the future- but I'm unaware of such an offering today (and given chip shortages esp on AMD processors I wouldn't hold my breath for one anytime soon)

Ahh ok... On the model 3, I was "pretty sure" but not positive, that the MCU was on the same board as the driving computer, so it was "one piece". Since there is no such thing as a "MCU upgrade" on a model 3 currently, I substituted "HW 2.5 > HW 3.0" or "the computer" in my head for what they typed. I agree with you, though, there is currently no "MCU upgrade" for a model 3.

In order to get FSD on my Model 3, I have to spend the 1k via Tesla Service to upgrade my MCU to v3 hardware.
[/QUOTE]

This is not correct.

First- the MCU is exactly the same on all US model 3s right now regardless of having FSD or not. It has not changed since the model 3 was launched (though it appears brand new Ys at least built in China are getting a newer one as of very recently).

You're mixing up the media computer (MCU) with the driving computer (which is the FSD computer you need for FSD).

Second-if you wish to buy FSD, the FSD computer upgrade is included in the purchase at no additional cost.

You'd only need to pay 1k if you do not want to buy FSD, but instead just want to rent it month to month via a subscription, in which case yes it's a 1k HW upgrade if you don't already have the FSD driving computer.