Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Waiting Game

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings, All,

On May 1, I notified Tesla that the MCU on my 2016 S was not functioning. I received an email from them, stating that they would let me know when the part would be available so that I could make an appointment to bring it in. They also stated that they would keep me updated twice a week in the interim. I received an email on May 5, re-stating the same thing.

Since then, I have not heard anything. I cannot establish contact with the car or Tesla via my phone app, so it is not possible to see what is going on from that angle. I have left a message with the regional center in Atlanta, and await a callback.

On the bright side, we have been under "stay at home" orders for this period, but, on the occasions that we have had to go to the store, etc. the car, while driveable, has no A/C, turn signals, mapping, radio, or other controls.

I'm just venting my frustrations, I guess, so pardon me on that account. I have a beautiful boat anchor gathering dust in my garage, and would much prefer to be using it now that the "stay at home" orders have been eased.

Does anyone out there have any ideas as to a time frame for this kind of matter? I know, "Tesla Time", but was just checking. And venting.

Not much of a consolation, but are you sure the turn signals don't work? I suspect they do, but since the clicking is a part of the audio system and not a relay, you just can't hear them or see the green indicator on the screen.

Its common for an SC to have have a spare ready to deploy MCU sitting on the supply shelf. There's not enough in the supply line to allow extras sitting around. That will likely change as more MCU2 Upgrades are completed, and Tesla can circle back with refurbished units into supply. Compounded by just like we are sitting at home, its likely that there's not a lot of folks at Tesla working to fill the SC order requests and ship them out.

In your case, if I were you, I would find another cell phone, download the app, log in and create a new Work request to replace my MCU. Start fresh and see what happens. Since its the same VIN, they will recognize the duplication if you old ticket was closed.

I keep an old track phone with Google Voice and WiFi connection including the necessary Tesla app just for this situation. $15.00 and worth every penny. 'cause when you have a backup, you never need it. :)

Keep us in the loop, please.

UPDATE:

I did get word from the SC, and my appointment was last Thursday. The installation was quick, the service (at the New Orleans SC) was very good, and I am back up and running the roads again. Not that I'm going anywhere much, but at least, I can zip when I do!

Reactions: Akikiki
Might want to read through this thread, especially if they replaced you with another MCU version 1 under warranty. Sounds very much like you had an eMMC failure, and you probably will again a few years down the road. Once you are out of warranty, you'll want to go the eMMC upgrade route rather than paying for a new/refurb MCU1.