Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WITH UPGRADE TO MCU 2...ONE SPEAKER DIED. RELATED??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WITH UPGRADE TO MCU 2...ONE SPEAKER (Driver side door) DIED. RELATED??

Folks, several weeks ago, had my late 2015 MS in for MCU2 upgrade. Immediately on drive home I noticed sound didn't seem right. On arriving home, I noted the driver's side door speaker was dead.

Just returned from service center. They indeed found the speaker to be dead, replacement fixed the problem.

I argued that somehow the MCU2 upgrade installation must have damaged / killed the speaker - as it was working on drive in, and not on drive out (so wanted the repair gratis). They said there was no way the upgrade could have caused the speaker to die, said the timing of the failure was just coincidence, and insisted on charging me.

So my question... Is there any way that their work on the MCU2 upgrade could have killed the speaker? Or is this failure just a coincidental, unrelated event?

Thanks for all replies!

Seems unrelated to me. I give it a less than 1% likelihood.

They don't access the door panel when doing an MCU2 retrofit. If the amplifier in MCU2 was bad it might blow a speaker. If the speaker was replaced and it worked, that sort of rules out the MCU2 causing it. If it blows again, then I'd have a suspicion that MCU2 is the cause and has some kind of intermittent.

Reactions: maximizese
Thanks for replies. Yes, I'd been wondering if some type of short or transient output during MCU2 install might have damaged my speaker. But I guess it does seem unlikely. Unless my 7 1/2 yo speaker was on it's last leg anyway. And since so far the new one continues to work just fine, I have to agree that new MCU must not be the cause.