Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media player bug: streaming station instead of FM station plays when car is started after sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SDKoala

M3LR RWD / MYLR
Apr 11, 2018
San Diego
This issue goes back to when I took delivery of the car and was on firmware 12.1.

I know a lot of you prefer streaming and using your own phones to play media, but I actually listen to local radio still. I have the FM station for my local PBS affiliate (KPBS 89.5 in San Diego) saved as a favorite. I also have the TuneIn streaming station for the affiliate saved as a favorite for times when I'm driving through areas where the FM reception isn't great.

If I park the car with the radio playing the 89.5 FM station and the car goes to sleep, 100% of the time when I return, it will start playing the KPBS TuneIn streaming station when I start it up again. It doesn't start playing 89.5 FM. There's another local FM station that has a TuneIn streaming counterpart, KYXY 96.5 FM. As a test, I saved both 96.5 FM station and the TuneIn KYXY streaming station as favorites and the media player does the exact same thing with this station. Car turns off with FM 96.5 playing, car turns on after sleep with TuneIn streaming KYXY playing. This only happens if both the FM and streaming stations are saved as favorites.

It's an annoyance for a few reasons. First, I'm sure it's just not supposed to work like this, so it shouldn't be doing it. Second, the LTE connectivity bug that happens sometimes after the car wakes up keeps the radio from playing as soon as the car is started as the connection gets re-established. Third, my PBS affiliate sometimes streams different programming than what is being aired live, so I have to manually select the FM station every time I get in the car.

Can someone do this experiment with FM and streaming stations in your area? The key is that the car has to go to sleep, so it would be most obvious overnight. If I just get out for a few minutes and get back in, the media player will stay on the FM station.

Edit: I should add that of course I've done the reset procedure. My car has probably been reset at least about a two dozen times since I got it 6 weeks ago.

Unfortunately, similar behavior to this has been a 'feature' for several years now :(

It is very common, regardless of the source you have selected when you stop, that when you come back a different source starts to play. It is not 100% of the time for me - often the same radio station resumes, but also often it is the next favorite down - so if I have a radio station as a favorite, then it resumes with the next favorite to the left. Again, even that is not 100% of the time though, sometimes its a different favorite altogether!

One of the most frustrating things for me, is how inconsistent these bugs are. You would expect it to fail in the same way every time, but it feels like a kind of random failure.

Unfortunately, similar behavior to this has been a 'feature' for several years now :(

It is very common, regardless of the source you have selected when you stop, that when you come back a different source starts to play. It is not 100% of the time for me - often the same radio station resumes, but also often it is the next favorite down - so if I have a radio station as a favorite, then it resumes with the next favorite to the left. Again, even that is not 100% of the time though, sometimes its a different favorite altogether!

One of the most frustrating things for me, is how inconsistent these bugs are. You would expect it to fail in the same way every time, but it feels like a kind of random failure.

So this is common on the S and X and it's been like that for a long time? That's disappointing. I guess I'm lucky that it's at least the same station, just streaming instead of FM. I haven't had it turn on to a completely different favorite station yet.

I found that the car doesn't seem to remember the music settings after it goes to sleep sometimes. Not just the local NPR station, but mine will switch between the Slacker stations as well. However, it never starts the local FM station if it was set on a Slacker option. I'm beginning to think the car listens to its own music when I'm away! I've been through two updates since taking delivery in Sept.