Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Streaming channels - Is this normal??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my Model Y (2020), TuneIn streaming channels (such as CNN or Folk Alley) don't work normally, where "normal" is having a live stream continue playing in real-time after I leave and then re-enter the car, as one would expect with a car "radio". Instead, I get one of these wrong behaviors, at different times:
1) The control bar shows the "pause" symbol - which would normally indicate that it's playing - but there's no sound. I have to press it (or the left steering wheel button) TWICE to get sound, and then plays a snippet of old sound before suddenly jumping to real-time.
2) The control bar is grayed out for a long time (much longer than the usual sync time when switching channels), then suddenly starts playing. This happens even in a strong-signal area, so it's not due to poor data. If I display my favorites, and re-select the VERY SAME channel, it will start playing.
3) The control bar shows "play" and is grayed out, and I cannot do ANYTHING, including play, pause, or changing channels as if the system is frozen. After a minute or so, it unlocks and starts playing.
I have, of course, tried the two-button reset several times. I went to a local dealer and demonstrated the problem - behavior #2 occurred. We went to a Model 3 in the lot and played CNN from TuneIn, and after leaving and re-entering, behavior #1 occurred. The dealer rep said he thought the car was designed to "pause" when re-entering, requiring pressing play to resume. But when we played a local FM station, it worked as expected, resuming the live station the moment we re-entered.
Please tell me your experience: Are these known issues, normal behavior (however odd), or something amiss with my system?

In my Model Y (2020), TuneIn streaming channels (such as CNN or Folk Alley) don't work normally, where "normal" is having a live stream continue playing in real-time after I leave and then re-enter the car, as one would expect with a car "radio". Instead, I get one of these wrong behaviors, at different times... Please tell me your experience: Are these known issues, normal behavior (however odd), or something amiss with my system?
We've had streaming audio issues happen twice in our Model Y. The issues were resolved after simultaneously holding down both steering wheel buttons for a few seconds and waiting for the display to reboot. Maybe this will work for you too?

The behavior I get is puzzling: The audio system MUST know the difference between an on-demand podcast/playlist, and a live-streamed radio (TuneIn) channel (like my SONOS does at home.) That being the case, when I get back in the car, it should simply re-load the streaming station I was listening to last, like EVERY OTHER CAR RADIO I'VE EVER OWNED! This BS about spinning like it can't reach the channel UNTIL I MANUALLY RESELECT the VERY SAME CHANNEL from my Favorites is just BAD PROGRAMMING on Tesla's part. FIX THIS!